The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Nichelle Nichols is proud od Zoe Saldana's Uhura
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Lieutenant

Default Nichelle Nichols is proud od Zoe Saldana's Uhura

http://www.californiachronicle.com/a...s/yb/132215625

Quote:
She has played Uhura through six "Star Trek" movies, up to this summer's prequel. Even though she's not in this particular film, she did have her day on the set.

"While they were shooting, J.J. Abrams invited me to lunch and invited me to come to the set," she says. "I was so excited. The surprise he had going was that the young woman playing Uhura didn't know I was coming. She just gasped.

"As J.J. had planned it, she didn't have to shoot, so we sat for two hours and talked, and it was as though I had known her all her life. I was so honored. I thought I was seeing myself -- I knew I was in good hands. She just picked my brain." Nichols has seen the new "Star Trek" movie twice and says she'll probably see it two or three more times. She likes what actress Zoe Saldana has done with Uhura.

"When I see her come on, that's me and I'm living it," she says. "A little ways into the movie, I realized she had taken to heart what I said and became more reserved and tighter. I'm so proud of her. She took a role that was established and gave it life.

"Now I know who I was before I got on that ship for that first mission. It's so exciting for me and rewarding.

"J.J. and she did me honor," Nichols says.

"J.J. with his casting did all his characters honor.

It's so nice to see Spock back in the future." And does Nichols see herself in a "Star Trek" future?

"I don't know what will happen, as quiet as it's kept," she says.

Here's also a video that has been on Youtube for about a month, Nichols giving a speech at a special screening of ST09 hosted by Rod Roddenberry on 9 May.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mESDoQ6TPvM
Old 06-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Commander

Awww...that's actually kinda sweet.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Federation Councillor

Saldana did indeed impress me with her interpretation of Uhura in the film. She was far more memorable than Sulu and Chekov.

It's nice that Nichelle Nichols is happy with her performance as well.

Although, there were stories that Nicholls had been offered a cameo as Uhura's grandmother, but again it couldn't be fitted to the script.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-26-2009, 06:23 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Saldana did indeed impress me with her interpretation of Uhura in the film. She was far more memorable than Sulu and Chekov.

Although, there were stories that Nicholls had been offered a cameo as Uhura's grandmother, but again it couldn't be fitted to the script.
I've heard the story that she wanted to, but it couldn't be added to the script at the time because of the writer's strike.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post

Perhaps they can work it into the next movie...even through a video message counseling Uhura about men/love. That would be fun.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Ensign

I absolutely love Nichelle Nichols. She is such an elegant, classy woman.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilEyes View Post
I've heard the story that she wanted to, but it couldn't be added to the script at the time because of the writer's strike.
Thats a good point to keep in mind. How many more story points would have been changed had there been no strike? As always whats on paper doesnt always work and is changed while shooting. But not in this case without various ways to get around it as much as possible.