The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > When did Star Trek stop being fun for you?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Midshipman

To Digress to the origin of the thread....I'm 53, I've watched ST since I was 9-10 yo. Its STILL fun after all these years. With the new movie, and the films etc that will be spawned from it, my guess is ST will still be in folks minds after I'm pushin up daisies.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Commander

Star Trek never stopped being fun for me. Even picking apart the occasional continuity error or other such thing is good fun sometimes -- because you can have a little laugh about it.

If it had stopped being fun, I wouldn't be here.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Lieutenant

While in my head Trek never stopped being wonderful and fun, I admit I did lose interest (and hope) in the franchise along about 1989. I figured that if "The Final Frontier" was what my beloved Star Trek had come to then I was better off dreaming of past glory. TNG was on, and I had watched it fairly faithfully, but it never caught my imagination, and I stopped watching.

Too, our first child was born in 1988. I found I had little time to watch TV, nor did I want to. Since then, I have rarely watched the tube. Missed out of DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise- did not know Enterprise was on until it was already canceled!

So, for nearly 20 years, for me, Trek lived through TOS books or watching an old vhs of the show, or one of the movies. When I heard about the 2009 movie, I must admit I was very skeptical and ignored it. Remakes are never as good, and no one could replace my Trek....or so I thought.

Then, I saw the trailer last winter. It looked interesting, I got excited and wanted to see the movie. Now, I have 2 Treks! I still enjoy the original and my interest in Star Trek has grown. Since my collection of ST books is in storage from our last overseas military move, I'm collecting my favorite ones so I can read them now. I plan to get the bluray DVD movies. I might- just might- get TNG set...or even the DS9 series.

As for the movie's new timeline- I can't wait for more.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Kiko Kea wrote:
Quote:
I might- just might- get TNG set...or even the DS9 series
.Two months ago I saw that Amazon.com had the
complete Next Generation seasons on discs for about $36.00.

Now is the time to get them!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Midshipman

Well, Things started to go off the rails a bit for me when they cancelled TNG a season too early, in my view, to start making movies. I went with it, but skipped the last two TNG films, the previews didn't didn't really catch my interest.
I did not watch DS9, I did see a few episodes, but found it lacking in qualities I watched Star Trek for. I really wanted that sense of going out and exploring unknown worlds rather than staying housebound and mired in politics if that's the right characterization of the show. Of course since it lost me, perhaps that's not a fair assumption, I don't know.
I did watch Voyager and no it wasn't as good as TNG or TOS, that's true, but at least it was exploration based.
By the time
Enterprise rolled around I totally rebelled and refused to watch. I didn't like Scott Bakula and for that reason alone I wasn't interested. Also, I hated the concept of going back in time and felt Trek had been handled poorly.