The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > As a trekkie are you accepted?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
If people judge you for something as silly as what movies/tv shows you enjoy, they aren't worth being friends with anyhow. Always be true to yourself!
I do have to agree with you. Its just I got some looks already from my family. But what do they know....Star Trek is freakin awesome

"You will answer me!"

Old 06-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I had a lot of this at school when I got into Trek back in the 90's, but I was bullied even before I got into Trek. If you were a Sci-Fi fan in the late 80's/early 90's you were toast!

The annoying thing I found was that when I was into Trek I got told by everyone how "crap" it was, but then a couple of years later, some of those people were coming to me saying. "Did you see that Star Trek episode last night? It was great!" ...hmm, can you say hypocrites

My friend and I were talking about the terms "geek" and "nerd", he found them to be offensive, but I say EVERYONE is a nerd or geek.

Everyone finds something that they can become healthily obsessed with, whether it be a TV show, a comic, a novel series, sport, football, basket ball, tennis...etc.

We have a great fantasy writer here in the UK called Terry Pratchett and he said in an interview, that he always thought it odd that someone who had [insert sports team here] shirts, bedsheets, alarm clock, curtains, posters etc. was considered to be perfectly normal. While folks who put on a pair of Spock ears and went to a Star Trek convention were considered to be a little weird.

I say, see their weird look and raise them a Spock's eyebrow! To cross Trek with poker!

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Vice Admiral

I have the same problem. I get treated like **** for linking it, kids making fun by doing the Vulcan signal. one time i got so mad the kid did the vulcan salute and i pulled the birdie.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Lieutenant

to be honest if your a trekkie it dont mea your a nerd or any of that stuff other people that are not fans just feel that way cause they think you should like the new shows or popular shows but star trek is popular it hasnt made me a nerd but actually has made me more confident in myself
Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Vice Admiral

I was considered a "nerd" while I was in high school. NOT because of Star Trek or because of other interests of mine, simply because I got good grades and usually got along well with my teachers. I was in Air Force J.R.O.T.C the entire 4 years of high school and that was thought of by many to be "nerdy". The only "Trekkie" thing I ever did was wear a TNG communicator on my leather jacket. Many people recognized it for what it was, others thought it was just some sort of jewelry (I wore a metal communicator that made NO sounds, NOT the plastic toy kind).

Every now and then I was made fun of while I was in my ROTC uniform. It was the same thing every time. I was called names like "smurf", because the uniform was blue. In my little town there are a bunch of wanna-be gangsta "cholo" types. I had to knock a couple of them around in order for them to give me my due respect (I defended myself and ended up hurting two of them) I got off without a suspension because I was well liked by my teachers and by the administration!!

I never thought of high school as the hardest part of my life. Sure, as a teenager it can be difficult to find your own way, but I had good friends, whom I still have to this day, 18 years later. My family unit was always strong and my father's military background instilled discipline, hard work, and moral values in me. I knew early on NOT to make friends with people I knew were into things like gangs or drugs. My friends like to play chess, many were in ROTC, and some were also Trekkies. You have to surround yourself with people that share some of your interests in order to make lasting friendships.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 06-17-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
I have the same problem. I get treated like **** for linking it, kids making fun by doing the Vulcan signal. one time i got so mad the kid did the vulcan salute and i pulled the birdie.
I don't think those kids are anti-Trek as much as they are "Wow, we know how to push this kid's buttons!" If you liked Star Wars, they'd ask if you could feel the force, and if you liked something else they'd reference that somehow.
Doesn't that show how shallow and undeserving of your attention those people are?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
Huh....kinda makes me wonder what a Vulcan "flip off" might look like.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Lieutenant Commander

For years I had trouble with people my age and liking Star Trek. I took the last movie before this one, Star Trek Nemesis, to class one day to show to my friends, and they all hated it and made fun of me. Even the nerdiest kid in the class, who was a Star WARS fan, told me that I was worse than him. And this kid was definitely nerdier than me. Up until recently, it's always been like that. But since this new movie, I've seen people who hated Star Trek before say they love it now...because of the new movie. And these are like, super popular Jock people. I'm sorry that you are having trouble finding other Star Trek fans, but I'm sure if you look hard enough, you'll find 'em.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I was also considered a 'geek; 'nerd'; 'wierd'; and other less flattering things...I could always ace my tests and exams without studying, and got away with NOT doing homework, because I could prove I knew the material. I brought Trek books to school as soon as second grade, so my teachers would just make my assignments out of those...book reports for english, and so on. When I hit high school, my Science teachers would always ask me how I managed to know what they were teaching, when they never saw me look in a textbook during class. I'd tell them "Science Fiction, with a good dose of intelligence."

Kids, of course, thought this was the perfect reason to tease me..."My, aint she a smart one! When are you gonna win a nobel prize?" "Hey, nerd, you better let me read your class notes, or I'm gonna stomp you after school!"

I was always walking, eating, etc. with my nose in a book, and it was almost always Sci-Fi; Star Trek, if Mom got me a new one. After the first year in high school, when the kids saw that it really did not bother me to be called those names, they gave up, and started being friends. My family had always told me that no matter what anyone else said about me, as long as I knew it wasn't true, I should just ignore it, so that is what I did.

Turns out that most of the kids who thought I was one of the outsiders, and therefore fair game, found out differently if they ran into my friends...by the end of my first year in high school, no one had the guts to pick on me, or try to put me down behind my back...if one of my friends did not straighten them out, one of teachers would.

And it wasn't that my friends or teachers even liked Star Trek; yet they figured if I could be that cool, calm and collected under that kind of pressure, then there might be something to this Star Trek...I wasn't always talking about it to the point of boring prople, but if Star Trek came up in conversation, I always jumped in and told them what it was about, and how it's ideals had impacted the way I looked at the world.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!

Last edited by FranCat : 06-17-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Lieutenant

your not nerdy but unique you got friends who care about you and thatlike what you like so theres not need feel bad if its what you like go for it even if others dont want you to or they want you to be cool so to speak