The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > "This Was Tokyo."....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Commander

Default "This Was Tokyo."....

Awhile ago someone posted rumors of a possible remake of "Godzilla, King Of The Monsters". I was just wondering if anyone has heard any news about the film. Did it get shelved, or what? The American attempt was a rather sad note in Godzilla history. But I believe with modern technology it could be done right, if the makers of the film take it seriously. The original film was never meant to be funny, unlike it's many sequels. I'd like to see the Dr. Sarazawa/Oxygen Destroyer plotline re-vamped for the 21st century. You just can't let Godzilla die, after all, he's a phenonenum, i mean a phenomnemum, uh that is a phenonenom, uh well...ah heck, he's great!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Commander

No news on this that I'm aware of; and believe me; I've been following the big G for years quite closely.
If they did try to take another stab at it in Hollywood, I'd like them to actually work with Toho this time, make it a period piece, an even combo between the American and Japanese versions of the original film (Gojira), keeping the nuclear allegory fully intact, and getting George Clooney as Raymond Burr's character of Steve Martin.
I think that would work.
Oh, and get Peter Jackson to direct, dammit.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Vice Admiral

It's probably too late for that. In some movies the solution to such huge monsters that are wreaking havok is a nuclear strike. I suppose with modern action movies like Transformers and such (ID4 excepted etc) the issue would just be avoided. But if you want to make it a period piece in the 50's for instance then you would have to remember that nuclear weapons were considered a viable option. Maybe even a first option by some.

Since this is a Trek forum, quite a few people didnt like Cloverfield but I did because it was so different. I tend to like unusual movies if they are well done. Godzilla was one inspiration for the monster and the solution was to nuke it. Of course it didnt have a happy ending but the solution was there. If you have a movie with multiple monsters then small tactical nukes would be even more likely.

But like we have seen in all of Trek, things like that are sometimes avoided. And a few fans consider them plot holes.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Federation Councillor

As someone who recently saw the original version of Godzilla, the Japeneese version, I was shcoked at how butchered the Americanized version was. The original Rocks!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Commander

I've seen every Godzilla(Gojira) film, even the crappy 98 Tristar version which would have been all well and good had they not called it Godzilla.
As far as I know, Toho will most likely restart the franchise within another year or so since "Godzilla: Final Wars".

And yes, as much as I get a kick out of Raymond Burr's pipe smoking standing off to the side but not on the same set performance, I prefer the original version of the film.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
I've seen every Godzilla(Gojira) film, even the crappy 98 Tristar version which would have been all well and good had they not called it Godzilla.
As far as I know, Toho will most likely restart the franchise within another year or so since "Godzilla: Final Wars".

And yes, as much as I get a kick out of Raymond Burr's pipe smoking standing off to the side but not on the same set performance, I prefer the original version of the film.
Final wars was a good addition to Series 3 of Gojira. I would like to see the unedited version of Godzilla Raids Again AKA Gigantis The Fire Monster.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Final wars was a good addition to Series 3 of Gojira. I would like to see the unedited version of Godzilla Raids Again AKA Gigantis The Fire Monster.
Have that one; while entertaining, pretty much all meaning to the creature is dropped, as it is a "new" Godzilla that appears in the film, and instead of filming the monsters at a slower speed to give the illusion of size and mass, the director actually sped up some of the footage to make it seem more "fierce".
The end result is a mixed bag, and not one of my favourites.

What I really got a kick out of in Final Wars was not only the world tour of destruction, but the main alien villain....dear gods he was a riot, especially in the subtitled version....it was all worth it to see the true Big G take out the Tristar version in 30 seconds...just pure brilliance.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Have that one; while entertaining, pretty much all meaning to the creature is dropped, as it is a "new" Godzilla that appears in the film, and instead of filming the monsters at a slower speed to give the illusion of size and mass, the director actually sped up some of the footage to make it seem more "fierce".
The end result is a mixed bag, and not one of my favourites.

What I really got a kick out of in Final Wars was not only the world tour of destruction, but the main alien villain....dear gods he was a riot, especially in the subtitled version....it was all worth it to see the true Big G take out the Tristar version in 30 seconds...just pure brilliance.
That alien dude reminded me of an Asian Neo (from the Matrix Films) it was one of the best for SFX and overall story.

What I am vauge on, were the stories from Godzilla 1985-Destroyah Series 2, or 3? I know from Godzilla 2000-Final Wars is a new series of films. (I am using the name Godzilla for our freinds you may not be familair with Gojira, his/her real name.)
Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
That alien dude reminded me of an Asian Neo (from the Matrix Films) it was one of the best for SFX and overall story.

What I am vauge on, were the stories from Godzilla 1985-Destroyah Series 2, or 3? I know from Godzilla 2000-Final Wars is a new series of films. (I am using the name Godzilla for our freinds you may not be familair with Gojira, his/her real name.)
The first series, also referred to as the "Showa" series ran from 54 through 75; the second series, also referred to as the "Hesie" series ran from 84 through 95; which of course leaves the third series or "Millenium" series which of course ended with Final Wars.
After which, Toho decided to "retire" Godzilla for a few years before attempting a new series.
*whew!*
I know waaaay too much about this ****.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
The first series, also referred to as the "Showa" series ran from 54 through 75; the second series, also referred to as the "Hesie" series ran from 84 through 95; which of course leaves the third series or "Millenium" series which of course ended with Final Wars.
After which, Toho decided to "retire" Godzilla for a few years before attempting a new series.
*whew!*
I know waaaay too much about this ****.
Ok, thanks! I wasn't too far off the mark. Naw, you don't know too mcuh about it!