The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Babylon 5 Remake?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 04:44 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
can you explain trouble with which actors?

SPOILERS

I know WB wanted to replace Michael O'Hare with a more well known TV actor and JMS was forced to consent in order to get a second season. is this what you mean.

I think B5's big flaw was JMS being forced to rush the war with Earth to its conclusion in season 4 (again WB). he meant for it to carry on in seaon 5. instead we got the awful tracey scoggins - seriously wtf????
SPOILERS

Tamlin Tomita was meant to be in season one but couldn't make it. Ivanova was going to appear as a regular and then get promoted at the end when Tomita left. The minbari were originally going to be androgynous. Caitlin Brown had to quit because of problems with the make-up and Andrea Thompson left because she was getting offers of work that she had to turn down due to her contract even though she only appeared in a few episodes each season. The biggest blow was Ivanova due to a lack of communication between agents as far as I could tell. Tracy Scoggins' character is just so bland compared to her.

Sinclair's departure was ok but I would have liked him to appear more often then he did afterwards. I was more annoyed that his girlfriend, who was quite interesting, was cast aside as if she had no purpose without his character. She should have been given one or two guest slots even after he departed.

And yeah, the refusal to commit to season 5 until after season 4 was over meant that the final episodes of season 4 were jam packed while season 5 started off at a snail's pace trying to build momentum from a standing start. The dismantling of the triumvirate in season 5 also diffused the core characters and weakened the franchise a bit.

If his original vision had paid off it really would have been a masterpiece.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:00 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
There's no need to remake Babylon 5 it was awesome as it was.

Making Crusade again would be cool. They'd have to get all the original actors though.
I didn't like Crusade at all. I think they should carry on B5 as TV and DVD movies.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:02 AM
Federation Councillor

I was never big on B5 - but from what I recall the story is too complex to whittle down to 2 hours.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-14-2009, 05:03 AM
Commander

Pauln6

thanks for that info

was caitlin brown G'kar's assistant?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Lieutenant

Yeah Na'toth! She was cooool. Originally she was planned to take over as ambassador when G'kar becomes an asylum seeker. She came back in season 5 but could only manage one episode - her skin reacted really badly to the make-up glue. A real shame. I missed her.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Vice Admiral

i love B5 , second favourite show , its got a special place in my selve-next to DS9 ,he he he
Old 06-15-2009, 02:28 AM
Lieutenant

I don't think a remake would ever happen really. Original BSG had a concept but not much in the way of overall plot. B5 was very tightly plotted with a beginning, middle, and end. Realisitcally, we'd have to wait another 20 years before they'd even consider a re-make of B5. I'd rather they but the bullet, gave us the Telepath War and finished it up for good. All the nibbling around the edges with mediocre stories has diluted the franchise sadly.

SPOILERS

Actually, I wish they'd re-make Day of the Dead into a double episode and feature a few more characters. I'd quite like to see Ivanova and Marcus meet up!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:19 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
Original BSG had a concept but not much in the way of overall plot. B5 was very tightly plotted with a beginning, middle, and end.
I think you contradicted yourself here
Old 06-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Lieutenant

Lol - BSG is Battlestar Galactica, which was recently re-made. The concept was the same (big bad cylons pursuing rag tag fugitive fleet searching for Earth) but none of the stories bore much relation to the original (no ovions, no Count Iblis, no Imperious Leader etc)

B5 on the other hand hsa the concept of the Space Station in neutral territory as the hub for a lot of intrigue. Simple enough, but what made the show was the actual story - in fact it is credited as the first show to plot out the story in advance over multiple seasons. If they re-booted after such a short space of time where would they go with the story? Simply re-telling it with tighter plotting, more padding, superior effects? The original just needed tweaking to make it perfect as it was.

My biggest criticism is that JMS can't write well for the humans - the oratory sounds fine coming from an alien mouth or as part of a public speech but they come out with the same trash while having coffee and it just looks totally false.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
Lol - BSG is Battlestar Galactica, which was recently re-made. The concept was the same (big bad cylons pursuing rag tag fugitive fleet searching for Earth) but none of the stories bore much relation to the original (no ovions, no Count Iblis, no Imperious Leader etc)
Imperious Leader... bah! I would much rather have had Fearless Leader. At least he had some style.