The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Could Star Trek V be salvaged
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

The music was nowhere near sub par. TFF has one of the best soundtracks of any Trek movie. Hell, without the music the movie would really really suck.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
The music was nowhere near sub par. TFF has one of the best soundtracks of any Trek movie. Hell, without the music the movie would really really suck.

Wasn't the theme the same from STTMP, which at that time was being used as STTNG music?

My favorite sound track is ST2 and ST: FIrst Contact. The new movie has good music too. I pay ALOT of attention to how music sets the mood in a movie, despite just the opening credits. Nothing in V grabbed me. You still need to (well you don't HAVE to do anything, as you have an opinion that I respect) attend to the rest of my points, and others' in this thread. At least you have brought some attention back to V. I just didn't really like it, man. On many, many , levels. You have to admit that it is univesially panned as an extreme flop.

You do have one guy in your corner. He thinks the whale move, IV, was WEAK, and likes v better, although he doesnt like either of them. Kudos to you for sticking your neck out to support this movie that some don't even consdier canon.

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Do you mean that with the music the movie only really sucks... as opposed to really really sucks?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Federation Councillor

I'm sorry a good soundtrack does not save a horrible and butchered script, poor effects, actors misused.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069 View Post
I was going back and rewatching some of the Trek movies, and sat through Star Trek V, which in my opinion is the worst of the movie series. Rewatching it, the whole movie comes off as a really bad B-flick, with substandard special effects and horrible script writing.

However at the heart of the movie, I thought there was a good idea, but just poorly executed.

What didn't work:

The most painstaking part of this movie is how bad the special effects are. The way they show the shuttle bay landing sequence, it looks worse than the old series effects shots. Moreover most of the shots of the Enterprise, the ship looks dead. There's one particular shot where the Enterprise is shown against the moon, and you can clearly see it's just a backdrop plate.

Cornball scenes, like the Enterprise campout. What should have been a humorous scene, just comes off as rediculously bad acting.

The woman who plays the Romulan council. Could they have possibly found a worse actress to play her? In addition there's nothing about her that looks Romulan. They cover up her ears, and she wears this long flowing dress that makes her more look like Princess Leah than a Romulan.

What did work:

I thought the premise of the movie was very compelling. A Vulcan who rejected the teachings of Logic and embraced emotion, wanting to search for his creator. That part is very much a part of Star Trek.

Sybok was a well crafted character and I thought well played by Laurence Luckenbil.

I would love to see some sort of cut with Star Trek V, to get rid of most of the corny scenes, and updated special effects, to see if it was more compelling.
In addition to the so-called special effects and the incredibly corny buddy-buddy campfire scenes (humourous endings to TOS episodes could be corny, but this was way cheesier than that), you forgot to mention:
- absolutely horrible acting not just by that actress, but by actors playing Klingons and other aliens
- amateurish direction
- characters made to look like pathetic morons or caricatures
- the cheesiness of the whole 'I feel your pain' thing (see the previous point)
- the weird and totally unconvincing Uhura/Scotty thing - WTF? (see the point before the previous) If Shatner and his co-writers were going for a random hookup between supporting characters and decided to pick two that never showed any interest of that kind for each other in TOS (or the early movies), why insert that absurd line by Uhura about "things we always wanted"?! With no previous attraction ever hinted, with both of them being too old to act like teenagers, couldn't they and have at least tried to make it a little bit convincing? If they were presented like two friends who decided to try for something more after many years and had a mature relationship, I could buy it. But instead, we just see Uhura being horny and desperate and sexually harassing a horrified Scotty... who was, erm, not looking very physically attractive at that point, and was made to look like a fool who bumps his head while walking around the ship, which made it all the weirder and more difficult to believe.

The only thing I liked were the flashbacks - McCoy's backtory was interesting and that's the only thing from FF I wouldn't want to wipe out from my mind and make non-canon.

Quote:
Could it be safely assumed that the reason the rest of the cast, except for Nimoy and Kelley, were made fools of was due to them not liking Shatner?
I didn't even think of that, but you are right: Scotty was made to look like a silly old man and a source of cheap laughs. Even worse, Sulu and Uhura happen to turn out to be the most emotionally unstable and impressionable, getting easily brainwashed by Sybok into betraying the crew? In addition Uhura, see above - impressionable, easily branwashed by a new age-like guru, horny and desperate, and gets turned down by Scotty (!).

But the funny thing is, Shatner unintentionally made himself into a caricature, too, by acting and directing himself so badly. The scene in which he gets angry at Spock for not killing Sybok made me laugh, Shatner was hammier than ever, to the point that he just looked comical... in the scene when he was not supposed to be. It was much funnier than any of the 'comedy' scenes in the movie!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:25 AM
Midshipman

Default Last Page

Hi,
Some of my users cannot use the last post button. It does not direct them. Can someone explain how I can fix this.

It is not everyone. I can use it and I believe others can to.

Thank you,

Scott
Old 06-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by EklerMen View Post
Hi,
Some of my users cannot use the last post button. It does not direct them. Can someone explain how I can fix this.

It is not everyone. I can use it and I believe others can to.

Thank you,

Scott

I don't exactly understand your question, sir. Could you elaboarate? Then we could help you better!

"I'll never lose you!"