The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > Board Styles and Settings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Board Styles and Settings

This is a little difficult to explain, since my native language is German. Please excuse some silly grammar or words.

The Board Style right know is very nice and okay with me, BUT you have to read white/offwhite text over darkgrey background.

This is very, very exhausting for the optical nerves/aka eyes and the older I get, the more I have to look away to relax my eyes after reading and to see sharp again.

Will there be a possibility in the profile of users (as it is in other borads) to change the style, soon? I fear I'm stuck here and have to read very much and want it - but my eyes wont do very long if I have to read white on black for long times.

Please
Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 AM

Stef* I passed along your post.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Hmm I don't see a reason why reading white text on black background should stress the visual sensory system...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Ensign

If you really have so much trouble reading white over black, I'd recommend trying Opera browser (http://www.opera.com) which allows you to switch various user style settings according to your taste and need. For instance, you can completely turn off the colors, thus getting black text on white.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Hmm I don't see a reason why reading white text on black background should stress the visual sensory system...
Perhaps, because you have young healthy eyesight. It won't bother you, because your brain and muscles will compensate for it as long as they can, and they can longer.

There is a reason, why books are printed in dark letters with serifes onto offwhite paper and why news or other "read" medias are in this form. Because the eyes are better adjusting, to diminsh the contrasts and the stress for your optical nerves you often use without knowing while reading.

In case you are older (as many Trek Fans are) or you already have a restraint of eyesight, thenn you WILL notice it on every dark webpage with plain white text.

I for myself can only read here for some minutes, clear and sharp, but then the my eyes beginn to squeeze and I have afterimages when I look onto something other to ease this.

I don't want to critisize the style, but I hope for an option to change it in my profile, so I can read it without stressing my eyes.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Opera is 'da bomb. It most definitely is my primary browser (even if it is intolerant of sites with less than perfect code).
Old 01-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarlathotep View Post
If you really have so much trouble reading white over black, I'd recommend trying Opera browser (http://www.opera.com) which allows you to switch various user style settings according to your taste and need. For instance, you can completely turn off the colors, thus getting black text on white.
Mmmmh, I already use Opera on my Mac.

I will try this, but don't know how ... where to look? In the browser settings itself?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Ensign

Easy way: look for "Author mode / User mode" switch, which should be located somewhere around your user interface. If it's not there, you can find it in the main menu bar, under View / Style. There you can pick various pre-made styles what might be more readable for you.

Then there's a more elaborate way, if you know how to work with CSS files: Right click the current page and pick "Edit user preferences" in the menu. There, under "Display", you can pick another pre-made stylesheet. That way, you can change the style of whole site to completely different design.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Ensign

Also, if you need or want, you can change "My fonts and colors" for "User mode" under "Tools / Preferences / Web pages"
Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

This won't work. There is no right klick on my Mac, but I know anyway what to use instead to get these dialogues.

Nevertheless, it won't work in this way - there is no option to change the colors in an easy way without getting a total chaos, in case I am no genius in programming.

I'm not.