The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > TOS Original or Remastered?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I am curious. I've heard that some of the stories have been altered?

This could be just a TV station having to cut for time.

But if anyone has both versions of "Devil in the Dark", would they mind checking to see if McCoy's dialogue at the end is changed at all?

Thanks.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 06-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Captain

I have seen both many times. They are indeed the same.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Well I dug deep and bought the season 1 remastered DVD set to see. I'm already only halfway through 'Man Trap' and it's like - it's like watchin episodes that just got filmed the other week at times!

So crisp, such vibrant colours and the new effects are just right!!

P.S - I now see the very early TOS signs of Uhura's intrigue about Spock - the romance in the new film definitely has precedent!
Kevin, I'm so glad you liked it! I agree 100% It looks really great. I love going back and watching it over like that as well.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Lieutenant Commander

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

"I'm a doctor! Not a bricklayer!"

"Good god Jim. I'm beginning to think I can cure a rainy day!"

That is great news. They are nicely priced this time around and the inner special FX junkie in me probably can't pass them up. hehe!

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 06-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I like the cheesy old originals with the cheesy old original effects. Save the new high tech effects for the new high tech movies.

IMO, YMMV, LSMFT, WKRP.
+1

For me, there is something about the original effects. For those who like the remastered, or both, I understand, but the show is as much about memories as it is about the concept.

The updated graphics (are to good) and remind me of the other visual flaws, but that is just me.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Sorry, but I like the original, (on DVD of course) sound is great, and I'm a stickler for models on CGI, kind of like the difference between a digital photo and an stadard film type. It's more of a preference, nostalgia thing. I did like the movie CGI though, and I like the improved effects on STMP, and would probably sell my originals if I could get Blueray.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:40 AM
Federation Councillor

I think regarding the special effects - I came to TOS well after seeing the Star Trek films and much of TOS.

In comparison the effects of TOS were never what I could find believable (credit given to the fact they were the best they could do at the time, of course) and so I think that's why I like the new spruced up effects.

They make it more realistic overall.

Only IMHO of course!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I read most of James Blish's adaptions before I had seen the episodes. I has seen some, so I knew the look of thing. But I was also able to let my imagination run wild on things.

When I did see the episodes I was always impressed with the effects. The huge phaser shot in The Cage comes to mind, as does a shot in The Alternate Factor when the Enterprise fires on the planet. Even the aliens in Catspaw and Operation: Annihilate! I thought were pretty neat from a "using anything you can to tell the story" perspective.

The only reason Paramount have invested in making the remastered versions is because the new BluRay/HD formats are different and the old prints don't fit the fomat. Plus, they also must have realised it's just plain cheeky to expect the modern audience to pay £$X for 40 year old quality TV.

If it was about making the Original Series better, then the would have done it back in 1986/7, when TNG aired.

That
Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Cheek never stopped Paramount bleeding fans with endless re-issues and repackaged version before!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Cheek never stopped Paramount bleeding fans with endless re-issues and repackaged version before!
Yeah, I forgot about the infamous, lets release all the films on DVD in reverse order without special features and then again in forward order in 2 Disc Special/Directors Cut editions. Silly me!

That