The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Midshipman

I was not a fan of star trek in the past, actually i find it kind of borring at times, althoug im fan of Cifi i realy dont care about the tech babbling to much, because at the end it realy doesnt matter at all what is the freaking technollogy behind a ligthsaber for example in SW, or the biologycal science behind the Atreides figthing style in Dune, all of that elements are just "lamps an furniture" in a stage were characters develope themselfs, at the end that is what i like about a story, the characters, and i like the characters in this movie, they are some kind different that their previous versions, and thats ok to me, if characters manage to feel "real" it doesnt matter if you dont have the best "furniture" in stage, im not going to question why frodo doesny fly on an eagle all way to mordor insted of walking, im just gona enjoy the ride, now im really speacting the part two of this movie becaouse im now fan of this new star trek.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindikator View Post
I'm not going to question why Frodo doesn't fly on an Eagle all way to Mordor insted of walking,
That is so my biggest question about LoTR as well!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Vice Admiral

I hope to see more of Pine in his yellow top and more the story has to be good what ideas do you think will be good for the sequel anyway I just want to say that Star Trek is the best film ever and hope it does well in the coming years

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 06-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
I hope to see more of Pine in his yellow top and more the story has to be good what ideas do you think will be good for the sequel anyway I just want to say that Star Trek is the best film ever and hope it does well in the coming years
.?!, :";'

There's some punctuation for you, since you had obviously run out. Keep it. I have plenty.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Vice Admiral

Sorry about that.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Vice Admiral

I wonder why so many awesome things were in this movie. I just loved the movie it was very very well done, it had the right mix of ingredients for film-goers and trekkies. I just want to say when Kirk got the injection that was so funny, so what thoughts do you have to share about the whole film.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Ensign

Well, I'm just out of the cinema after seeing it for the first time!! To hell with it I thought, if I can't motivate a posse, I'll go on me own before they stop showing it!!!!! And a number of the places weren't anymore...

So what did the Cyberbeagle sniff out on this trip to the cinema? Well, apart from the fact that the Odeon in Belfast smells *extremely* brand spanking new… new carpet, seats, etc… very weird instead of stale popcorn…

Anyway… I bloody loved it! Star Trek hasn't been this good since First Contact. Special kudos has to go to Karl Urban "Goddammit man!" who really channelled DeForest Kelly. Overall it just felt right. Like a comfortable pair of old shoes you haven't worn in a while, but with a new polish. I'd forgotten how much I'd missed these characters. We were so keen to see Picard et al on the screen in the 90s that I'm not sure we appreciated what we were losing with the TOS crew.

I'll keep this short as I don't want to repeat the observations that have already been made on this thread - and I will echo the praise made by various posters here about the aspects that they enjoyed. Who could not smile when Leonard Nimoy appeared? And yes, a tear welled up when George Kirk was killed. And some nice laugh-out-loud moments.

My criticisms are small in terms of plot, the cutting of the escape from Rura Penthe scene detracts from the narrative as Uhura's lines make no sense if you don't know that, as well as explaining what Nero's been up to for 25 years… And Klingons do not have Warbirds… Romulans do.

But my suspicions about those things that I would dislike in the film would be design based were right. First up, I like Ben Burtt, he's done brilliant stuff for Star Wars, but please get rid of him for the sequel. Star Trek should have it's own unique sound effects, not recycled Star Wars ones. Bye-bye turbolift SFX, phaser SFX, and the original transporter sound effect seemed sparsely used - like a cameo appearance.

And then there's the overall design. The Kelvin was much more like a proper Star Trek ship than the Enterprise, I still hate that design. And what has happened to the hand phasers? Bring back the beam! Instead of the squirt guns (although I like the fact they resembled the TOS movie phasers, although they've that daft barrel thing going on). Also, still not keen on the bridge - they really should have tried to keep it closer to the TOS movies layout but with the TOS series colour schemes. And yes, Engineering DOES look like a brewery!!! And photo torpedoes, while closer to the TOS effect, just don't look as good at the post-TMP versions, complete with "plop" sound effect, and the transporter "swirls" are dreadful! And what is it with that bloody lens flare ruining that scene on board the bridge????

But those are nitpicks, still the most exciting and enjoyable Star Trek film I have seen in over 13 years!!!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Vice Admiral

What moments were a nod to tos

Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Federation Councillor

The memory alpha entry for the film has a 'continuity' subsection that lists a number of connections to the TOS series and TOS films and the new Star Trek film.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
.?!, :";'

There's some punctuation for you, since you had obviously run out. Keep it. I have plenty.
I thought it was James Joyce, back from the grave!