The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Tuvok
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentricity View Post
As a side note, I would add that an Asian-looking vulcan was seen in the seventh season of Deep Space Nine (He was one of the players on the Vulcan baseball team). Check the sequence with the Federation Anthem.

See this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kvLRJO3hNU at the 42 second mark. This Vulcan sure looks like an Asian actor to me and my girlfriend (who is Asian) agrees with me.

Am I mistaken here?
hah I love that episode. Its funny watching other aliens trying to play baseball. Always a good laugh when u need one
Old 10-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
... Being half human would likely make it easier, not harder, for Spock to control his emotions....
You are 100% right... and that's why you are 100% wrong.

(A very apologetic *Grin*...)

At a rough guess, i would say you are AT LEAST a 'second generation' Trekker, if not a third - i.e., you did not see the (second) pilot episode as an adolescent.

Neither you nor I can TRULY imagine the cultural climate the original show debuted in... but let me point out this: 'TV Guide' airbrushed out the pointed ears and slanted eyebrows as looking 'too Satanic'...

Spock's half-human heritage was a way of making his character 'sympathetic'... and while mundane enough in concept, a master-stroke in execution. If not for Spock's 'familiarity' in what his 'human-half' was dealing with, Tuvok's 'pure' Vulcanism would have been 'too alien'!

I am reminded of the (generalized) statement, much bastar..., um, 'corrupted' from Bertrand of Chartres:

"We are only able to see so far, for we are standing on the shoulders of giants..."

What we, any of us!, do today, is only due to the works of those who came before us...

"To make an apple pie from scratch, one must first create the Universe..." Carl Sagan (*Grin*)

Old 10-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Ensign

I was born in 1965 so I would be considered 2nd generation I suppose. However, Vulcan emotional control is not a genetic thing. It is a learned behavior. Their volatile emotions, however, are genetic. Spock only had to learn how to deal with half of this. Human emotions are not so intense as to even need controlling so it's likely that his training to control his Vulcan half would also have taught him to keep the weaker human side in check fairly easilly. Tuvok, being full Vulcan, would have to struggle twice as hard to maintain control (from a genetic standpoint). I just can't subscribe to the notion that Spock would have a harder time of it. Canon suggests that the opposite should be true as the intensity of Vulcan emotions (vs human ones) has been established several times on screen.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I was born in 1965 so I would be considered 2nd generation I suppose. However, Vulcan emotional control is not a genetic thing. It is a learned behavior. Their volatile emotions, however, are genetic. Spock only had to learn how to deal with half of this. Human emotions are not so intense as to even need controlling so it's likely that his training to control his Vulcan half would also have taught him to keep the weaker human side in check fairly easilly. Tuvok, being full Vulcan, would have to struggle twice as hard to maintain control (from a genetic standpoint). I just can't subscribe to the notion that Spock would have a harder time of it. Canon suggests that the opposite should be true as the intensity of Vulcan emotions (vs human ones) has been established several times on screen.
Well said, but I think one can also argue that his human half makes it harder for him to suppress and control his emotions. So there are two opposong effects and one cannot say which is stronger. I think it gives the writers liberty and from what we heard from Quinto, we will rather see the latter version, a Spock not in control of his emotions yet.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Ensign

i like Tuvok, it was different to see a vulcan suffer a horrid disease, sad though.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Tuvok is my third favorite Vulcan--behind Spock and Doctor Selar--and I thought Tim Russ did a great job with the role. But after the arrival of Seven of Nine, he was pretty much redundant, IMO. I thought he was the coolest member of the crew and would have preferred it if he and Chakotay had switched places...
Really
Tuvok is my fourth favorite....It doesn't mean I don't like him just that there are so many good ones.

Sarek is my number one only because he's the father of Spock.
Spock is very very close in second.
Saavik, the student of Spock...again very very close.
And then Tuvok...he took some time for me to like but I like flawed characters.

Then lastly...I think Valeris....because...again. I like flawed characters. She was realistic.

My least favorite is. T'pol....she was a H*. (pardon my french) I like flawed characters not stupid characters. Her incesant insistence that Time travel was ruled impossible was becoming dogmatic.

Just about ever Vulcan in ENT was undesirable and emotional and completely out of line with what we know of Vulcans.

Sorry, but I also don't like Selar either....she was more snobbish that even I could tolerate.

Last edited by Saquist : 11-10-2008 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Captain

I was born in 1956 and I am a first gen Trekkie. I have to say Tuvok is my very favorite vulcan! Spock is my very favorite mixed breed Vulcan! I think Russ plays Tuvok beautifully. You can tell that he really studied very hard to get it right. Tuvok mellowed a little as the 7 years went by, when he took special care of the 3 children that were left on the planet to die. He was a tender father to them. The episode where he lost his memory and was very nice to Neelix was very good also. It gave him more depth. I think the character grew with the show and will always be a fan favorite!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Sorry, but I also don't like Selar either....she was more snobbish that even I could tolerate.
She did come off as a little haughty for a doctor...but there were, um, "other attributes" about Selar that made her one of my favorite Vulcans...
Old 06-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Ensign

Tuvok went back in time and ran for president of the USA.