The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Terminator Salvation - Major Spoilers Here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Commander

I think he was technically just the leader of his local branch, but had a lot of sway outside of that because of his radio presence and because most of the things he said, such as the information about the T-800's turned out to be true.

-Free Enterprise
Old 06-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I havent seen it yet, but I just saw the german trailer with Arnie. Arnie looks exactly like his age in the first movie. So is it really him or special effects?
Old 06-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Commander

I believe it was his face.... cleaned up digitaly and grafted onto a cgi body

-Free Enterprise
Old 06-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
Man that sounds so lame....
Old 06-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Federation Councillor

I saw the film today and thought it was generic trash of the worst kind. A $200 million dollar excercise in how to make a bad film.

The acting was non-existent from everyone involved (which makes Bale's tirade exceptionally ironic given his very basic work) Worthington is a bland co-lead, Howard is actually a striking facial actress and actually does look like an older version of Claire Danes, Yelchin disappointed as Kyle Reese, and Moon Bloodgood's character was an idiot and she played the part accordingly. The only thing she had going was good haircare.

- She releases a Terminator they know nothing about from captivity because, what? She looked into his eyes, felt his heart beat and just.....knew he was good? Give me a break.

- Bale's little 'I'll be back' - cringeworthy in the extreme.

- Just why was a decent actress like Jane Alexander in this? Come to think of it, why is Helena Bonham Carter in this?

- Actually where are the strong female characters period? Where is someone with even a fraction of the presence and strength of Sarah Connor? Howard is irrelevant to the film, you could take out all her scenes and wouldn't notice and as for Moongood? Well, I idiotic covers that.

- The big walking machines at the gas station - I'm sorry, I though Transformers 2 was out later in the year?

Granted the effects were great, but the whole movie had me clockwatching within 10 minutes and I could easily have left halfway through if my companion hadn't been enjoying it more.

The action scenes were derivative and uninspired, relying on mega-pyrotechnics. At least the Arnie CGI was way better than the Wolverine cameo and worked - although John Connor's absolute non-reaction to the machine he's so familiar with was a little surprising.

Thank goodness this has been a relative flop - it will, with any luck, spare us the waste of time a T5 would undoubtedly be.

Worst blockbuster of the year so far, I'd even watch Wolverine again first. As an attempt to get a franchise continuing - failure.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 06-06-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Commander

Well this certainly seems to be one of those you loved it or you hated it films.

-Free Enterprise
Old 06-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

I have a feeling Mr. McG will not get the director's chair on the next one. Hell, there may not even be a T5. Personally, I think the franchise is way past its prime...the TV show failed and the new movie isn't even the blockbuster that the third one was. That's pretty bad IMO.

Mind you, I enjoyed the new movie and found it entertaining. I just think it's time for the Terminator to retire.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Ensign

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
Actually, it's a bodybuilder's body with young Arnie's face digitally plastered on. I read someplace that they had a cast mold of Arnie's head from the first Terminator movie. They used that to make his face, and on top of that, I'm not lying on this one, promise, the bodybuilder looks like a young Arnie. Watch the Bay Watch spoof, Son of the Beach. He's in that series.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:22 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
does anyone know why the makers chose to reveal that Marcus was a Terminator in the trailers. I would have prefered to not know just to see if I could figure it out myself?
Probably 'cause it adds to the audience's perceptions of the character. He'd just be an mystery otherwise, right up until the end. Instead, we get to find out that he's totally different from any Terminator we've seen before, but also a logical 'step' between humans and machines. A kind of prototype for the T-800 and their ilk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
- She releases a Terminator they know nothing about from captivity because, what? She looked into his eyes, felt his heart beat and just.....knew he was good? Give me a break.
Fair point, but he'd also saved her from being assaulted and raped, and basically behaved like an emotional and moral human being. As was noted in the film, if he wanted to kill - or had been designed to - he'd have done so much sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal
the only thing I could nitpick about it was how the resistance seemed to be SO WELL SUPPLIED...planes...trucks....l cars...loads of amo.. and guns...all kinds of computer interfaces apparently not infiltrated in some fashion by skynet, and a medical facility and personnel capable of doing a heart transplant. That's not a resistence...that's a frackin full fledged military. But outside of that little point it was solid.
You make a fine point, and I pondered this too - but something occurs to me: Skynet started off as a military programme. On J-day, it couldn't wipe out too many military or government installations, because it'd basically be shooting itself in the head. Skynet is the data strewn across millions of computers worldwide, so those computers had to remain intact - which meant that the military bases surrounding them couldn't all simply be blown away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim
btw, any idea which scene in the film is the one where Bale lost his temper with the idiotic DP?
Not sure - though I blame Bale on that one. The guy simply entered Bale's line of sight during a scene, and for a technically sound reason too. Merely seeing a crewmember hardly seems like grounds for a full-blown tantrum. Especially considering that most of John Connor's scenes involved little more than "mumble mumble mumble by machiiiiiiiines... mumble mumble mumble the machiiiiiiiines..."

As for my thoughts on the movie, here's a slightly cleaned-up version of what I said on a different forum:

I never knew John Conner could be such a flat, uninteresting character. Christian Bale managed quite a feat by appearing bored and mumbly for the entire film.

Marcus Wright was a fascinating character, though, and Chekov wasn't bad either.

Lots of **** blew up, there were killer robots, killer robot Arnies, killer robot motorcycles, and killer giant ****ing robots. And lots of **** blew up. Diverting, but not that compelling. Didn't really have the heart and soul of the earlier films and TV show, something I'd feared would happen when the series was taken out of the here-and-now and flung into the too-familiar 'post apocalyptic battlefield' setting.

Still, they did a fairly good job of setting up what we already know will happen later - Terminators that mimic humans, and machines being captured and reprogrammed - while still telling a new story of how that future will come about. I probably won't bother seeing this film a second time, but I'll still look forward to the next one. If nothing else, there's the slim chance of seeing an entire CG army of Summer Glaus and '80s Schwarzeneggers.

Last edited by Big D : 06-07-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:07 AM
Vice Admiral

the movie wasnt bad,its just...a decent film with robots-transformers is a robot movie but is gonna squash T4 like a grape ,wait and see