The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Miraculously Converts Nonfan Into Seeker of Star Trek Conventions and More!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 03:43 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
It makes it sound like Star Trek is a cult and the style of the posting is like a propaganda machine.
You're right, it's more like an exlusive "chosen few" type religion.

Seriously, lighten up. I don't think anyone here is serious in considering this movie as a propoganda machine. However, in its presentation, it was made in an attempt to draw in more people to Star Trek.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:49 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I read it as a sincere thumbs-up...but with some humor...besides, the reviewer did not come right out and say "I am now a fan!" he just admitted to acting like one, which may have been intended as a bit of a joke.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCat View Post
Only problem I have with this review: he says that Spock is a young Vulcan, not a half Vulcan/Human .... but then, no one's perfect, I guess he really wasn't into Star Trek before this, huh?
And he writes Nero's name "Niro", so it's not very surprising that he messed up on Spock's origins. Is this guy's last name Kilimanjaro for real?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:26 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Star Trek is having its intended effect -- that is, of proselytizing the word of Trek unto the unwashed masses.

Awesome!

See: http://www.carolinapeacemaker.com/ne...D=96860&sID=37
You know what I really don't like but have seen many times since the movie's been released? People who start talking about the movie by saying: "I'm not a Trekkie, but..." or "I've NEVER been a Trekkie, but..." For some reason, I resent that. I mean, why do they feel the need to state that they are not Trekkies. They make it sound like it's some kind of disease or mental disorder. News flash, people: You can enjoy Star Trek without being a Trekkie! This only goes to show that despite the success of this movie the stigma is still there.

Somehow, saying "I've never been a fan of Iron Man, but I really enjoyed the first movie" or "I've never been a fan the X-Men comics but I really enjoyed the movies" just doesn't sound as condescending to me.

Or maybe it's just me being a little too sensitive...

Old 06-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
You know what I really don't like but have seen many times since the movie's been released? People who start talking about the movie by saying: "I'm not a Trekkie, but..." or "I've NEVER been a Trekkie, but..." For some reason, I resent that. I mean, why do they feel the need to state that they are not Trekkies. This only goes to show that despite the success of this movie the stigma is still there.

Somehow, saying "I've never been a fan of Iron Man, but I really enjoyed the first movie" or "I've never been a fan the X-Men comics but I really enjoyed the movies" just doesn't sound as condescending.

Or maybe it's just me being a little too sensitive...
I think it depends on the context. There is something elitist about that kind of statement if said by certain people, but for others, it might be genuine.

I can certainly see your meaning, and I do agree that the anti-Trek stigma is still out there to some degree. That degree, one would think, is lessening.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

You know when Trekkie is derogatory when actual Trekkies are complaining about the simple use of the term and getting angry over it. It's almost like Trekkie is the new N word. (points a few posts up)
Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
I don't like the tone of the title of this thread nor the description therein.

It makes it sound like Star Trek is a cult and the style of the posting is like a propaganda machine.

We can be positive about the movie's success without making it sound and look creepy to be a Star Trek fan.
Looks like someone's due for a reprogramming session in The Box. Fire up the jumper cables!

Besides, when I tell my friends about some of the arguments we get into on this forum, I'm met with blank stares, laughs, and a whole bunch of "But who cares about that kind of stuff?" So yeah, hard core Trek fans can put off other folks from even giving it a chance.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I never felt weird for saying I was a Trekker...or Trekkie...but then, I was always very careful when choosing my friends. I was also considered a nerd and an ice queen, but I grew out of those...I'll never grow out of Star Trekness, though!

Old 06-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCat View Post
I never felt weird for saying I was a Trekker...or Trekkie...but then, I was always very careful when choosing my friends. I was also considered a nerd and an ice queen, but I grew out of those...I'll never grow out of Star Trekness, though!
It's an aquired taste, like single-malt scotch. Nor can I picture you as an ice queen!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
It's an aquired taste, like single-malt scotch. Nor can I picture you as an ice queen!
I said I grew out of that phase...took me almost twenty more years, but my hormones finally turned on! At 35! I've learned how to enjoy all sorts of things since then....lol!