The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Is it just me......or
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Ensign

Default Is it just me......or

This is for fans of both Star Wars and Star Trek. We all know of course that J.J. Abrams is a bigger fan of Star Wars, he even gave R2 a small cameo. And people are talking all over the forum about how his love of Star wars influenced this film. Remeber the scene in the film when the Enterprise is banking away from dock preparring to go to warp and Capt. Pike is looking toward the camera. Behind him you see the other ships moving into position and the camera slowly pans right as Capt. Pike turns to face the screen giving orders. Well, is it just me or does this scene bare a more than passing resemblance to the scene in Retun of the Jedi when the fleet is about to jump into hyperspace? Maybe it's me but it seems to almost mimic that scene in every way.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylp77 View Post
This is for fans of both Star Wars and Star Trek. We all know of course that J.J. Abrams is a bigger fan of Star Wars, he even gave R2 a small cameo. And people are talking all over the forum about how his love of Star wars influenced this film. Remeber the scene in the film when the Enterprise is banking away from dock preparring to go to warp and Capt. Pike is looking toward the camera. Behind him you see the other ships moving into position and the camera slowly pans right as Capt. Pike turns to face the screen giving orders. Well, is it just me or does this scene bare a more than passing resemblance to the scene in Retun of the Jedi when the fleet is about to jump into hyperspace? Maybe it's me but it seems to almost mimic that scene in every way.
The resemblance to the way that ships jump into hyperspace is somewhat there, I think.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
The resemblance to the way that ships jump into hyperspace is somewhat there, I think.
True. The engines flare, and boom, no more ship. That's very hyperspace. And from the inside, too, the way the stars stretch. Looks good though...
Old 06-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Commander

It's a jump drive with a touch of the Trek stretchy bit.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylp77 View Post
he even gave R2 a small cameo.
I've seem the movie 3 times but I have not seen R2....where is he?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Commander

I was thinking, along similar lines, how much the jump back into normal space -and near-collision with the debris field of broken ships- felt more like something out of Star Wars. Specifically, the scene when they discover Aldaraan has been destroeyed (because they've jumped out into the middle of a debris field).

Putting aside for the moment why the scene doesn't quite work in Star Trek (Pike should know the location of the starfleet, regardless of its condition), this does seem to change the rules regarding how hyperspace works:

Most obvious question (in the case of both Wars and the new Trek): What were the odds of them not already being pulverized before completing the jump to normal space? I mean, as soon as they jumped back, they were seemingly surrounded by debris on all sides.

Most obvious answer: because they weren't even there as far as the debris field was concerned. They could've stayed in hyperspace and passed (safely) right through it.

That to me feels very Star Wars. In 'traditional' Star Trek, in which you actually see the stars streaking past you (um... aren't those stars supposed to be hundreds of light years away?) and there's no question you need to look out for solid matter, you would detect the debris, register it as too large for the deflector to move, and then plot a new course around it.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by samwiseb : 06-03-2009 at 07:17 PM.