The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Narada and all those pointy bits
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
I've stated this elsewhere, but no you really don't need anything other than the movie. Anything else is simply to shut up TNG fanboys.
My position too.

Also, my previous post has been updated. Might want to check that out.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

You want answers but you won't research all the materials about it.

Umm, okay.... Not very "logical."

You never read any technical manuals or schematics or books for any other Trek vessel? Ever?

Anyway, while I sense yet another attempt at picking the fun out of this movie....

The Narada, as seen in the comic Star Trek: Countdown, started out as a relatively simple and small craft. With the implementation of the reverse-engineered Borg components, who is to say that the changes to the vessel "make sense?" The technology apparently caused the spires to multiply, grow, and the mass of the vessel itself increased as a result.

I'd venture to say that before her change into a monstrous killing machine, the "pointy bits" could very plausibly have been a tool for mining operations. They may have even had something to do with the dangerous orbital and suborbital conditions of the mining process.

-JT
Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
Well to be fair we are told the nacelles do their thing with the warp field, thats why they are held away from the ship. The saucer is mainly crew quaters, labs etc, the bridge is on the dome, the deflector...deflects and so on. Same thing with Klingon ships, and so on.
I actually have been looking for episodes of TOS that explain what the various parts of the ship are, what departments are on what levels, etc. Could you please point me to them?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

By the way, the missile weapons that the Narada uses? They're really green, unlike the Narada which is heavily black. I think that they aren't Borg, rather, they're a explosive device used in mining. For example, the Narada can use the mining drill on planets, but they use the explosive missiles to crack asteroids up.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Well....not having read the comic, I just thought that it was "mining" equipment of various sorts...I'm assuming they didn't always us a beam to do that. Some material would still need to be "chewed" out of the planet.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
I've stated this elsewhere, but no you really don't need anything other than the movie. Anything else is simply to shut up TNG fanboys.

As for the ship appearance, I've also stated this elsewhere too.
It is a visual metaphor for the dangers of space and the unknown.
The giant octopus/squid (historic Kraken) from a time when maps still had labels such as "here be monsters" and "edge of the world".
Well said sir.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

The tentacles are naughty, and are for hentai.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
Aw crap, another one of those you have to go buy a comic book to understand something that should be in the movie itself things. Just like Nero's backstory I suppose.
I'm not going to read the comic so a lot of this probably won't make sense to me.
You don't have to buy it, there are *cough* other ways to obtain it *cough* rapidshare*cough*
Old 06-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Never ever has it been explained in Trek why a ship looks the way it looks. Seems as if today different standards apply ...
Indeed Anything goes, for those who are looking for something to complain about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Indeed. How is the movie faring in Japan, by the way?

As for the Narada's bits and pieces - the ship's made for mining, so it an array of spindly appendages could help for mining operations in dense debris fields. Either by keeping big dangerous rocks from striking the primary hull, or by giving the ship or crew access to particular rocks or gas pockets or other valuables, without having to get their entire vessel right up close. A kind of 24th-century gangplank or siphon hose. Not the least logical explanation from an engineering standpoint, though. Still, I favour the explanation that those tentacles are for protection, or various kinds of mining equipment, or both.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
And you know this how?