The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Narada and all those pointy bits
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Lieutenant

Default The Narada and all those pointy bits

OK so the Narada is a mining vessel, so assumably all those pointy bits jutting off from the main part of the Narada do something? On the Scimitar (a better looking ship) the spindly arms things were part of the weapon.
Was just wondering if there was an explanation for them on the Narada, other than the mean looking aesthetics of course

Old 06-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

All the tentacle looking things are Borg parts. It says in Countdown.

My guess is they are from a Borg "Octopus" or "Squid", if you will, an attempt by the Borg to make a organically shaped vessel, as the Borg perceive perfection as a combination of the efficiency of mechanical things and the beauty of organic matter.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Lieutenant

Aw crap, another one of those you have to go buy a comic book to understand something that should be in the movie itself things. Just like Nero's backstory I suppose.
I'm not going to read the comic so a lot of this probably won't make sense to me.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
Aw crap, another one of those you have to go buy a comic book to understand something that should be in the movie itself things.
Never ever has it been explained in Trek why a ship looks the way it looks. Seems as if today different standards apply ...
Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

They took the sentinels from the Matrix reality and integrated them...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Never ever has it been explained in Trek why a ship looks the way it looks. Seems as if today different standards apply ...
Well to be fair we are told the nacelles do their thing with the warp field, thats why they are held away from the ship. The saucer is mainly crew quaters, labs etc, the bridge is on the dome, the deflector...deflects and so on. Same thing with Klingon ships, and so on.
I just am really curious as to what they do, even if they are Borg and not Romulan.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Actually, you don't have to get the comic book to understand it.
For example, you understand a keyboard right? But you don't get how it works, you just know you press the keys, etc.

Oh, and in Countdown, they also have tentacle things inside, one of which stabs temporary General Worf through the chest. Don't worry, he lives, but ow.

My guess is the ones outside can move, it's just that they weren't compatible with Romulan systems and therefore couldn't operate.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Commander

Quote:
Aw crap, another one of those you have to go buy a comic book to understand something that should be in the movie itself things. Just like Nero's backstory I suppose.
I've stated this elsewhere, but no you really don't need anything other than the movie. Anything else is simply to shut up TNG fanboys.

As for the ship appearance, I've also stated this elsewhere too.
It is a visual metaphor for the dangers of space and the unknown.
The giant octopus/squid (historic Kraken) from a time when maps still had labels such as "here be monsters" and "edge of the world".

Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Well to be fair we are told the nacelles do their thing with the warp field, thats why they are held away from the ship. The saucer is mainly crew quaters, labs etc, the bridge is on the dome, the deflector...deflects and so on. Same thing with Klingon ships, and so on.
I just am really curious as to what they do, even if they are Borg and not Romulan.
From what I saw in the movie, the idea seems to have been to design it crammed and a bit surrealistic, such that you don't understand its purpose. Which is a pretty straightforward way to create a menace, be it the boogey man in the dark or a starship.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarShot View Post
Actually, you don't have to get the comic book to understand it.
For example, you understand a keyboard right? But you don't get how it works, you just know you press the keys, etc.
Yeah, I know when I press F U, that I type F U on the screen.
But I still don't have an inkling what the tentacles do, and it seems no one else does either.