The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > why does Spock Prime think Kirk is the capt?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Still, they should've added a twenty-minute scene in the conference room where Spock explains exactly why he knelt down - and then uses an everyday event as a metaphor, to explain it even more clearly - so that we'd have an explanation that the true fans would accept
You think that would be good enough? Or would there need to be more?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It comes back to the fact he didn't appear to know what had actually happened when they came through the black hole until he was told.
On top of that, considering that the Narada was waiting for him the moment he came out of the black hole, I don't think checking what time he was in by referencing star positions was foremost on his mind.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 06-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Lieutenant

OK, here is what I was getting at with my original question. Prime Spock sees a young Kirk and asks, "You're not the Capt?" Kirk was not a Capt at that age (25 or so) in the "original" time line. Even if Spock knows he's in a different time line, I don't see why he would assume Pike was Capt.

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 06-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Lieutenant

The answer to that is that he probably wasn't told the star date. So, he wouldn't know that his dear friend Jim isn't the captain of the Enterprise. I didn't look very different between my mid-20s and mid-30s, and to old eyes, there may not have been any noticeable difference. Spock was looking at Kirk as he remembered him from 128 years ago.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
OK, here is what I was getting at with my original question. Prime Spock sees a young Kirk and asks, "You're not the Capt?" Kirk was not a Capt at that age (25 or so) in the "original" time line. Even if Spock knows he's in a different time line, I don't see why he would assume Pike was Capt.
He doesn't ask Kirk for his ID first - and it's a long time since he's seen him that young.

I reckon Spock just assumed Kirk was older.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
He sees a young Kirk, assumes that he has travelled back in time (without any alternate reality complications, just "there and back again"), believes that Kirk has come to rescue him ... and naturally assumes that Kirk is the captain if he comes for him.
He is a Vulcan but that's a thought of the moment thing and he surely can't tell by looking at Kirk whether he is 25 or 30.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Vice Admiral

It's the Kirk genes. It takes him longer to look older.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
In the cave, he meets the young Kirk. In the original timeline, Spock must surly have known that a Kirk that young would not be Capt.
Considering that Kirk(Pine) looks exactly the same from the begining to the end of the movie, when he is a cadet, then all of a sudden, captain, anyone of us could make the mistake. Seriously, if you hadn't seen the movie, and where shown to screencaps that focused just on his face, and not the uniform, could you tell the age difference when its only meant to be a matter of days, say a month at most, between being a cadet, and then captain.
Also, Spock Prime has just arrived, and doesn't know how things have transpired on the bridge, he will remember an entirely different set of circumstances for Kirks promotion to captain, and the rest of the crew coming together.

Quote:
ALso, when Nero captured Spock Prime, why did Spock fall to his knees? Very un Vulcan like.
This, I don't have idea about. Although young Spock is more apt to have emotional responses in this movie, (I know Spock Prime did too, but not to this extent), it just didn't ring true when Nimoy did it.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Lieutenant

Spock thought he was the Captain because in the Prime timeline Kirk made Captain at age 28 so he assumed he was in this timeline as well. End of discussion.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Federation Councillor

As for Nimoy falling - it looked to me as if going through the disturbance was very traumatic for him.

I figured he was just done in. Which being captured would not help.

courtesy of Saquist