The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Nurse Chapel IS in the movie. Sorta.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Lieutenant

Heck, for all we know, Chapel joined Star Fleet because Roger Korby took a different path in life. Perhaps he's a researcher back on Earth, and the pair are doing quite well, thank you very much.

If Spock/Christine never happen, I'm not concerned. I think the Spock/Uhura relationship should be pursued to its final conclusion, whatever that may be.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 06-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
Heck, for all we know, Chapel joined Star Fleet because Roger Korby took a different path in life. Perhaps he's a researcher back on Earth, and the pair are doing quite well, thank you very much.

If Spock/Christine never happen, I'm not concerned. I think the Spock/Uhura relationship should be pursued to its final conclusion, whatever that may be.
Well said. I hope that they take the character from that point and let her evolve into something other than a moony wreck who can't keep her hands of her patients. Of all the characters, this is perhaps the one who could have the BEST experience in the alternate reality.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 06-02-2009, 03:13 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Well said. I hope that they take the character from that point and let her evolve into something other than a moony wreck who can't keep her hands of her patients. Of all the characters, this is perhaps the one who could have the BEST experience in the alternate reality.
I'm seeing an Uhura/Spock/Chapel triangle in the future. I said triangle, not sandwich.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 06-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Vice Admiral

Nope Nope Nope. There already are some ideas floating around about Uhura/Spock/Kirk. Now you want to add a fourth? Its getting pretty crowded dont you think? Also, I'm not sure a love square works well except in comedies.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Nope Nope Nope. There already are some ideas floating around about Uhura/Spock/Kirk. Now you want to add a fourth? Its getting pretty crowded dont you think? Also, I'm not sure a love square works well except in comedies.
Uhura/Spock/Chapel would be bad. Spock/Uhura/Kirk would be just terrible. I hope that the writers are not listening to such nonsense. The stupidest thing of all is that even those who are talking about some kind of triangle involving Kirk, don't really sound like they would want it, but they claim that it is "obvious that this is being set up", which is not true at all as far as I can see. I guess people are just too used to lame Hollywood cliches, that they just can't accept it when it doesn't happen. So they think, OK, if this movie did not go the sucky Hollywood route, the next one must? I'm even starting to warm up to the idea of bringing back Rand (though I'd much rather have Dr Carol Marcus), if only it would shut up all those stupid talk about possible future Kirk/Uhura.

If they bring back Chapel, I just hope that they don't focus on her crush on Spock this time... a subtle hint at her attraction to him would be OK, but a full fledged plot - please no. There is nothing to be gained there. (And hey, as already mentioned, maybe she is happy with Roger...) They could focus more on her as a nurse and her friendship with McCoy - Chapel's strongest moment as a character, IMO, was in For the World is Hollow when she was determined and protective of him.

They have introduced the Spock/Uhura storyline, and now is the great opportunity to deal with it in a mature way, there are great possibilities of exploring issues of interspecies relationships (i.e. interracial relationships), cultural differences, the obstacles they could face because of prejudice, as well as Spock's issues with logic vs emotion, human vs Vulcan traditions, etc. There are lots of opportunities there to use the relationship for both funny and moving moments, not to mention to explore issues of racism, cross-cultural interaction etc. The last thing anyone needs is some lame Dawson's Creek-style (or Lost-style ) love triangle/polygon/whatever - the only thing that could accomplish is destroy the characters and make them annoying, pathetic and unsympathetic, and make everyone sick and bored of the new Star Trek.

BTW, wait, Uhura/Spock/Kirk... that should be about Uhura and Kirk both vying for Spock's affection, right?