The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Should Earht have been taken out too? Or instead?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Ensign

Default Should Earht have been taken out too? Or instead?

Hmmmmmm....

Late, as in the late DentArthurDent.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Commander

I'm kinda partial to Earth and as that would reduce humanity to refugees and humans make up the target audience for this movie, wouldn't that turn Star Trek's promise of a bright future into another. "Stupid humans got trashed again..." scenario?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
I'm kinda partial to Earth and as that would reduce humanity to refugees and humans make up the target audience for this movie, wouldn't that turn Star Trek's promise of a bright future into another. "Stupid humans got trashed again..." scenario?
Yeah, pretty much.
I mean, isn't Earth always getting picked on in Sci-Fi films these last few years?
Armageddon, War of The Worlds, The Day The Earth Stood Still (Gods, how I hated that film.....)
Pick on another planet for a change, right?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Ensign

(I actually don't like the idea, myself, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a thought experiment.)
Old 06-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieDawn View Post
Hmmmmmm....

Late, as in the late DentArthurDent.
"It's a sort of threat, you see. I've never been any good at them myself but I'm told they can be terribly effective!"
I'm a great fan of science, you know."

[But Earth being destroyed would be a terrible distraction for the writers, because despite the fact that the Federation allegedly has over 100 members planets, it always boils down to humans and Earth...]

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Commander

If they took out Earth, the Trek universe would be a very, very different animal, that's for sure. I'm too distracted atm to really think about the implications, but it's an interesting question.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Banned

In my new story for the sequel to this movie, the Earth disappears at the end, as a cliffhanger. I've posted the story in another thread.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Lieutenant

I have to agree with the majority of responders here and say that destroying Earth would probably lose the decidedly-Earth-centric target audience of the movie.

The premise of Star Trek is that we get past all of our stupidity (okay, at least most of it) and work together to create a better universe. Destroying Earth would distract from that goal, especially since Earth is the heart of the Federation.

I would even go so far as to say Star Fleet would be so crippled that it would no longer be a viable organization and, without the "human glue" that holds the member worlds of the Federation together, I think the organization would come apart amid the squabbling between old rivals. (Without Earth to hold them back, the Andorians would have a field day

Think about it: it was Archer and Earth that first started to get the disparate and uncooperative Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites to work together in the mid-2150s. Earth quickly became the political center of the fledgling Federation in the 2160s with the establishment of Star Fleet Headquarters in San Francisco and, presumably, the other Federation offices on Earth.

Humans often seemed to be the "middle ground" between the extremes of the other founding members' cultures (similar, in a way, to the American-centric perception that the presence of the United States in NATO was what held together groups like the Greeks and Turks, British and French...not saying that was the truth, but the perception from some points of view). The loss of that anchor would effectively kill the body (perhaps similar to how the League of Nations, minus the "keystone" of the United States, was a completely skewed body that chose punishment over peaceful reconciliation and ultimately led to WWII).

No, the Federation, as presented in Star Trek, could not survive without Earth. And, without the Federation, Star Trek would be just another dystopic future where humans are just trying to survive after a disaster.

I prefer to keep my Star Trek optimistic, thank you.
with the depleted Vulcans.)

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 06-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Federation Councillor

I wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't beleieve it should get special 'protection' treatment from the writers.

If Vulcan and Romulus can go - so can Earth.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
If Vulcan and Romulus can go - so can Earth.
One thing at a time, kevin. One thing at a time.