The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Report Pirate movies to Paramount?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Rear Admiral

Sadly, most pirated movies either come from someone at the movie studio, or from people that work at movie theaters.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Essex View Post
I'm waiting for the day when instead of going to a theatre, I can stream new movies to my home theatre for a fee. I prefer to stay at home and watch it on my 110" screen than go to a theatre. I don't have to worry about it being to cold or to hot, don't have to worry about missing anything if I have to get up, don't have to worry about sitting to close or not in the centre. It's going to happen. Just a matter of time. And if given the either or option, the studios will probably make even more money.

Now if they had shot the whole movie on 70mm (IMAX) film, then of course I'd go see it on an IMAX screen.

Yes the Pirate industry sucks and not just for movies. But if you've watched any of the movies, you'd know that the majority come from countries like Russia and China. And hosted sites are in other countries outside NA. And once on the internet, anyone can download. I think the leaked copy of Wolverine is the exception though. I hope they busted the bugger that did that.

Fascinating.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
Sadly, most pirated movies either come from someone at the movie studio, or from people that work at movie theaters.
Most Accurate Nums.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Yup. Like I said, places all over the Internet to report such things.
But Paramount should know.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Commander

PM me .. wait two days .. and then report it to Paramount
Old 06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
My opinion on to the subject, intellectual property rights are hard to enforce today. And enforcing them ain't my job.
Ditto. The studios do plenty to rip us off anyway. How many times have they released the films and overpriced Dvds?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Maybe if the pirated material wasn't available more people would pay to see said movie and the prices would then be cheaper. And if you dont like hte fact they released a movie on DVD then heres an Idea. Just dont by that "collectors" copy.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 06-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
Maybe if the pirated material wasn't available more people would pay to see said movie and the prices would then be cheaper. And if you dont like hte fact they released a movie on DVD then heres an Idea. Just dont by that "collectors" copy.
Well, it's common practice now to film way more than you need for the "Collector's DVD, or Director's Cut." I think if they book films with a more reasonable rental rate to theatres, theatres could lower prices and fill alot more seats.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Vice Admiral

The 'cheaper' thing is used quite alot. But if money is the argument why not make them a little bit cheaper to get more people to go now? Decide on a good balance so the gain in volume will outweigh the drop in individual prices. To get a large number of new audience members who dont go because of prices (alot more than the smaller number of pirates) there must be an incentive. You dont tell them "pay full price now and maybe we will lower prices later'. Thats a very bad way to try and expand a market.

Besides, if piracy was cut in half how many people think there would be a significant drop in prices? I certainly dont trust them to do it.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
The 'cheaper' thing is used quite alot. But if money is the argument why not make them a little bit cheaper to get more people to go now? Decide on a good balance so the gain in volume will outweigh the drop in individual prices. To get a large number of new audience members who dont go because of prices (alot more than the smaller number of pirates) there must be an incentive. You dont tell them "pay full price now and maybe we will lower prices later'. Thats a very bad way to try and expand a market.

Besides, if piracy was cut in half how many people think there would be a significant drop in prices? I certainly dont trust them to do it.
But as I said, the theares are just reflecting the high prices they pay for the rental of print(s) the need. They have to pass it onto us. The studios can (via the distributors) can almost literally charage any rental price they want on print(s) of popular, or projected to be popular films.

Also, we have someone at the studios to blame for leaking out DVD screeners (meant for cast and crew) and prirating them.