The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > why does Spock Prime think Kirk is the capt?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
The more you think things through with this movie the more things fall apart. The entire movie is full of crazy coincidences and holes in the plot. I usually look past these sorts of things in most movies, but this one was SOOOO in your face it is hard to NOT see! My God, I can only suspend so much disbelief before I say "WTF!?"
If you get a chance, read the novelization....there's a little bit of dialogue that kinda mitigates some of these numerous coinkydinks.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
The more you think things through with this movie the more things fall apart. The entire movie is full of crazy coincidences and holes in the plot. I usually look past these sorts of things in most movies, but this one was SOOOO in your face it is hard to NOT see! My God, I can only suspend so much disbelief before I say "WTF!?"
I figure if I can be a fan of a dude who changes bodies thirteen times and travels around in a blue police box that's bigger on the inside than out, I can suspend my disbelief to any level necessary.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
I figure if I can be a fan of a dude who changes bodies thirteen times and travels around in a blue police box that's bigger on the inside than out, I can suspend my disbelief to any level necessary.
How about if next time he regenerates into a woman? Will that still work for you?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:58 AM
Commander

Well he's going to regenerate into Matt Smith, so he's halfway there already...

OK, that was petty and uncalled for - I don't actually have any problems with the new Doctor as yet, since we obviously haven't seen him in action yet. Just a cheap shot at the silly emo hair he's sporting in the promotional shots

Old 06-01-2009, 05:16 AM
Midshipman

the Doctor has already regenerated into a woman in the audio books, as well as a one-off charity TV special, both non-canonical of course, but both made by the BBC.

Personally a female Doctor would be fine with me, and it'd break the trend of young vaguely attractive single female "companions" i suspect as well.

More to the point, how will they explain when the Doctor regenerates past 13 lives? Remember the hideously evil Master did this and that was the crux of his evilness!

</offtopic>
Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Lieutenant

Funny, I was just talking to my roommate about that last night. IIRC, the regenerations were nominally controlled by the Time Lords on Gallifrey; the Master received a new batch of regenerations after helping the Time Lords defeat Rassilon in "The Five Doctors" and apparently received a new body with at least one new regeneration during the Time War.

The BBC Doctor Who FAQ alludes to the fact that, with the social structure of Gallifrey gone, there may be no limits on The Doctor's regenerations.

Of course, if the show continues to a Fourteenth Doctor, the writers will come up with a plausible explanation that allows him to regenerate a thirteenth time. (Heck, it may be as simple as the TARDIS drives his regeneration, because she and the universe still need him.)

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 06-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
There as a TOS episode where they all knelt down before beaming.
More than one I think. In The Corbomite Maneuver, When Scotty was beaming them over, he asked them to kneel down, it was "reading a little cramped over there".

Last edited by Beetlescott : 06-01-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Captain

When Kirk saw Prime Spock, whe told him he had been thrown off for mutiny, thats when Spock questioned him about being captian.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
Funny, I was just talking to my roommate about that last night. IIRC, the regenerations were nominally controlled by the Time Lords on Gallifrey; the Master received a new batch of regenerations after helping the Time Lords defeat Rassilon in "The Five Doctors" and apparently received a new body with at least one new regeneration during the Time War.
Of course since they are all dead... who knows. Any explanation is possible.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
More than one I think. In The Corbomite Maneuver, When Scotty was beaming them over, he asked them to kneel down, it was "reading a little cramped over there".

"Have some Tranya!"

"I'll never lose you!"