The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Should Spock Prime share future knowledge?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise NCC-1701-A View Post
anytime
You are correct, sir. But, Ithink for this discussion, we should stick with on screen.

Seems it's on screen first, then authroized materials.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Vice Admiral

Dude, 20,000 posts. Wow.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Dude, 20,000 posts. Wow.
Thanks, it just is what it is.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
In a wider sense, fair enough.

But we know the Federation has a darker underbelly - my concern is, and always will be, giving those people access to technology that could be very dangerous in their hands.
yes, the dark underbelly has shown itself every now and then. It is good to be aware of it and to remain vigilant to make sure it doesn't become the driving factor in everyday Federation activities.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Captain

Whether he should or shouldn't is irrelevant. With the way the timelines have now diverged, little or nothing he shares would still be accurate.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-31-2009, 01:04 AM
Midshipman

Spock went back in time to save himself once. When he was a young and had to go through that ordeal in the Vulcan desert. (animated series episode) Spock went back in time and called himself Selek and protected his younger self by killing the Lematyr that was going to kill the younger Spock. It did kill I'chia unfortunately (Spock's pet Sehlat).
In short, Spock has gone back in time before to fix things. I hope something happens in the next movie along those lines so he can restore Vulcan. It's a bad thing not having that planet to go to. Restricts what future the Vulcans might have somewhat, ie nowhere to breed etc. (won't be easy to recreate that mystique at a colony planet)
Old 05-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepqueen View Post
Spock went back in time to save himself once. When he was a young and had to go through that ordeal in the Vulcan desert. (animated series episode) Spock went back in time and called himself Selek and protected his younger self by killing the Lematyr that was going to kill the younger Spock. It did kill I'chia unfortunately (Spock's pet Sehlat).
In short, Spock has gone back in time before to fix things. I hope something happens in the next movie along those lines so he can restore Vulcan. It's a bad thing not having that planet to go to. Restricts what future the Vulcans might have somewhat, ie nowhere to breed etc. (won't be easy to recreate that mystique at a colony planet)
I'd hate to see this reboot sink to a something happens and we just go back and fix it way of life. Otherwise it'll go nowhere and we might as well just stop now. As for the Vulcans, if the over population of the Earth is any indicator, it's that people or Vulcans can breed anywhere. In dark alleys, in cars, at high school proms.....oops..did I say that?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Vice Admiral

Yes you did. For some reason I dont see a Vulcan saying "wanna go back to my place?"
Old 05-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I agree with this. It is sort of what I was trying to say. Even with some hawk loose cannons out there wanting to slap around other powers nearby, I think the Federation council would not just start doing that. Sure, they may be more willing to do things thought to be risky before, since now the risk would would be lowered with advanced tech on their side.

I think the federation already does a good job of extending an olive branch and of talking to those they have conflicts with. I am a firm believer that the advanced tech would lead to a safer and more secure quadrant for all, since the federation could. easily defend itself.
The Federation and Earth in particular has just become very vulnerable, what with the Vulcans' home planet having been blown away. The Vulcans are kind of the Earth's best friends. Earth has lost six billion of its greatest supporters and protectors, and now it must deal with not only the Klingons, but also competitors within the Federation (the Tellarites, the Andorians, etc.) as well.

It's sort of if, during the Cold War, the U.S. had lost the other members of NATO to some kind of devastating pandemic. Imagine if Great Britain, France, West Germany, and others had be reduced to a surviving population of just 10,000 or so, plus emigres who happened to be outside of Europe. The U.S. would have quite a lot of slack to take up against the Soviet Union and its allies. Now imagine if there'd been a "frenemy" competitor to the U.S. within NATO that survived. It would be even worse.

Spock Prime should do everything in his power to help. He should, as he told Spock Alternate, in this instance, do what feels right.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Now imagine if there'd been a "frenemy" competitor to the U.S. within NATO that survived. It would be even worse.
That would've been France.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy