The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Report Pirate movies to Paramount?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Midshipman

Default Report Pirate movies to Paramount?

No, not the swashbuckling Pirate movie, what say you matey!

I'm talking rip off, which damages the film industry and increases prices of genuine DVD's. I came across a site online which seems to be showing full length movies, including the latest star Trek Xl ! Paramount does not seem to have a link to report this site to them. I'm a big Star Trek fan and I would rather watch a genuine DVD thats legal, than a bad copy. Too many pirate movies lose the film industry millions, and risk other films not being made, including Star Trek.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Vice Admiral

In this case, my love for Trek would overrule my love for watching the little guy stick it to The Man. All the showings I've attended were pretty closely watched by the ushers, though.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Lieutenant

I'm waiting for the day when instead of going to a theatre, I can stream new movies to my home theatre for a fee. I prefer to stay at home and watch it on my 110" screen than go to a theatre. I don't have to worry about it being to cold or to hot, don't have to worry about missing anything if I have to get up, don't have to worry about sitting to close or not in the centre. It's going to happen. Just a matter of time. And if given the either or option, the studios will probably make even more money.

Now if they had shot the whole movie on 70mm (IMAX) film, then of course I'd go see it on an IMAX screen.

Yes the Pirate industry sucks and not just for movies. But if you've watched any of the movies, you'd know that the majority come from countries like Russia and China. And hosted sites are in other countries outside NA. And once on the internet, anyone can download. I think the leaked copy of Wolverine is the exception though. I hope they busted the bugger that did that.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Essex View Post
I'm waiting for the day when instead of going to a theatre, I can stream new movies to my home theatre for a fee. I prefer to stay at home and watch it on my 110" screen than go to a theatre. I don't have to worry about it being to cold or to hot, don't have to worry about missing anything if I have to get up, don't have to worry about sitting to close or not in the centre. It's going to happen. Just a matter of time. And if given the either or option, the studios will probably make even more money.
When I go into the cinema I don't worry about where I sit, I just autopilot to a seat, and when the film starts I just have to try and immerse myself in it to be able to ignore the heat or the cold (and I never have to worry about getting up to the toilet)...

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 05-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpspeed View Post
I came across a site online which seems to be showing full length movies, including the latest star Trek Xl !
So the thief asks whether he should be arrested or what?
That shot went into the wrong direction ...

My opinion on to the subject, intellectual property rights are hard to enforce today. And enforcing them ain't my job.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 AM
Lieutenant Commander

There's a guy who sneaks around with a little infra-red projector at one of the theatres I go to. He pretends it's a flashlight. I don't think he's accomplishing too much because anyone who'd watch a cam job won't be bothered by some momentary swirlies on the screen.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Vice Admiral

You dont work for MPAA do you? Your post reads like one of the usual boilerplate form-letter arguments. Cut/paste the words Star Trek to any other movie and it is exactly the same. I dont like the 'boo-hoo' arguments about money either because Hollywood still makes a truly obscene amount of money even with piracy and a very bad economy. And I must say... all this piracy didnt stop them from spending $200 million on a poorly written Terminator movie, and it doesnt include the money it cost to promote it. Also, there are places all over the internet to report piracy so I have no idea where that one is coming from.

So... stop piracy yes. But dont use lost money that exists only on paper as a sympathy card when you are awash in it. Especially these days when more people have a distrust of big money. That said, I will change my tune about the money 180 degrees the moment one of the big studios might possibly go bankrupt.

End
Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 AM

Please PM me any links to pirated content and I can pass it on.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Federation Councillor

I agree with RedShirt on this one.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I agree with RedShirt on this one.
Yup. Like I said, places all over the Internet to report such things.