The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why don't they tell the turboshaft....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Vice Admiral

Again its time-compressed for dramatic purposes. Unless you think you are watching a real-time video with absolutely no cuts. Do you? You might as well believe the D-Day landings in Saving Private Ryan only took the soldiers 15 minutes to get off the beach. Perhaps with all the hero-soldiers dramatizations since then alot of people do. Maybe you do too.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Federation Councillor

I would hope a turbolift would move fast in a ship as big as the E! Would kinda suck it there was an attack, and it took forever to get to the bridge...lol...
Old 05-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by R23 View Post
Didnt anyone else feel that the Turbo Lift's moved slightly too fast in this movie. Considering the distance the 'car' had to travel in both captain Robau and Spock's scene it was crazy fast. It must go over 100mph and had no affect on the occupant (even when it changes direction from going up and down the ship to along it).

Spock was in the lift like 2 seconds to go the entire height of the ship! I also noticed the great seemless camera take were he left the shuttle bay and entered the bridge with no cut of camera angle change in the film. Either clever CGI or the lift set was built on rollers to switch it over to the next set.

Im used to TNG style lifts were your in there for so long there usually alot of dialogue!
Inertia dampers? Hey the ship goes to warp-(whatever) without slamming everyone to the rear of the ship, so an elevator should be nothing to deal with. ;-)
Old 05-31-2009, 05:36 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
....where to go? I always loved that touch. Kirk runs into the lift, turns the knob, and says, "Bridge!" That was totally absent in the new movie.

the only reason i can think is that in the first episode THE CAGE, there was no voice recogition on the turbolift, just nobs and buttons which i thought was pretty cool.

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.