The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > why does Spock Prime think Kirk is the capt?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Exactly!
I suppose he is in chaps also. Such a vivid imagination.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
I thought maybe he was afraid of flying debris, tbh. That and the pose looked kind of hot, so I won't complain.
I'm glad to know that someone else found that sight to be extremely pleasing! And, while I'm thinking about Spock lookin' good....his gray uniform fits him nicely- don'tcha think?
Old 05-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
He was just getting good positioning so he didn't fall of the rocks.

That's standard beaming procedure, you knew that surely!

They all hunched down on the pad in "The Corbomite Maneuver" too. But that's cuz Scotty said it was "cramped" in the ship they were beaming to. I think that's why some people had nostalgic feelings about the scene in the new movie.

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
In the cave, he meets the young Kirk. In the original timeline, Spock must surly have known that a Kirk that young would not be Capt.
Kirk in the original timeline was the youngest man ever to command a starship....right at 30. It's possible that in this timeline, Jimmy T. is close to the same age as Spock knew him in the Prime Time Line, so it would be understandable for Spock Prime to assume Kirk was captain.

ANNOUNCER's VOICE: It's Star Trek Night Live. With your host, Spock Prime. Special guests include Sarek, Nero, Amanda Grayson, Chris Pike, and the Not Ready For Prime Timeline Players.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
I suppose he is in chaps also. Such a vivid imagination.
Chaps, boots, and nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
I'm glad to know that someone else found that sight to be extremely pleasing! And, while I'm thinking about Spock lookin' good....his gray uniform fits him nicely- don'tcha think?
Yes indeed! Totally unrelated but sorta...McCoy in his cadet uniform. My that man cuts a nice figure! I like the scene where he's walking away from Kirk in the hanger after Kirk finds out that he's grounded and McCoy's pantlegs are all messy and hitched up in the backs of his boots. And the scene where he's like, "Study my ***," and walks off. The back view is soooo nice. He's just solid and fit and YUM.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
"Kneel Spock, and pledge eternal loyalty...to Zod!"

Oh, I just had a mental image of Spock in the Superman costume.

Well it works though, doesn't it. Spock - Superman...they both begin with an "S"

Perhaps, if Spock gets exposed to kryptonite he'll develop SuperVulcan powers and be able to fly around Vulcan's original location really, really fast, locally reversing time until Vulcan and his mum is back. Then all he has to do is spin around again to get the local-time flowing in the correct direction. With no big mining ship in orbit, Vulcan can't be blown up.

Ha! Vulcan saved!

BWAAA HAAA HAAA! That is funny stuff man!

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Chaps, boots, and nothing else!

Yes indeed! Totally unrelated but sorta...McCoy in his cadet uniform. My that man cuts a nice figure! I like the scene where he's walking away from Kirk in the hanger after Kirk finds out that he's grounded and McCoy's pantlegs are all messy and hitched up in the backs of his boots. And the scene where he's like, "Study my ***," and walks off. The back view is soooo nice. He's just solid and fit and YUM.

I hope you're a girl! LOL!

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Kirk in the original timeline was the youngest man ever to command a starship....right at 30. It's possible that in this timeline, Jimmy T. is close to the same age as Spock knew him in the Prime Time Line, so it would be understandable for Spock Prime to assume Kirk was captain.
Pretty much said what I was going to say... Spock Prime was captured and put on DV4 by Nero. Spock knew roughly what year it was and just assumed Kirk was already Captain when they met in the cave. Spock didn't take into account that Nero was tinkering with events, but that should have been obvious when Vulcan went BOOM!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
I hope you're a girl! LOL!
I am indeed! There don't seem to be many of we ladies on the board, though...
Old 05-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Admiral

I don't think Spock knows what year it is. Remember, Nero didn't know what year he'd arrived in.

Spock kneeling before Nero has led to some fabulous fan fic....(which is why huge gaping plot holes don't bother me that much). My best "in universe" explanation would be he's humbling himself before Nero because he knows he cannot fight him and thinks his only hope for survival is to not give him a reason to kill him.

Spock kneeling before beaming struck me as bizarre, but I figure maybe the only place they could send him was a hill (which is where he landed) so crouching with bended knees was less likely to result in him falling on his *** when he materialized.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!