The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Avatar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Of the ones I've seen (all but Pirahna 2), the only two Cameron films I don't like are True Lies and The Abyss (just too long and boring for me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The theatrical cut is very weak, the 1992 special edition is a vast improvement, but even longer.
Quote:
Can't say I've ever seen the theatrical cut. Depends on which one they constantly show on Encore over here in the US. I just lose interest in the movie, and haven't ever been able to sit through the entire thing.
I have seen Abyss many times...waited till it came out on DVD, never saw it in theater. I have found it to be the only movie that my family WILL NOT talk, move, get up, eat, drink, or even remember to breathe, during. It held the attention of a three and a five year old for almost three hours!! and they asked me if they could watch it again, the next day.

And True Lies was just plain fun, I thought...I laughed almost all the way through it!

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Well, let's see...

Terminator = ripoff of Outer Limits' episode "Soldier"
Aliens = Ripoff of Heinlien's "Starship Troopers"
Abyss = Ripoff of Crichtion's "Sphere"

And now this one...

He may be an amazingly visual filmmaker, but his stories need to be more frackin' original!
WELL,

What was it I was taught in high school literature class? That there were only five (or six) plots. ALL stories are variations on those basic themes.
Terminator a ripoff of that OL ep? Inapt description. Inspired by, based on, update of, fancy-shmancy re-do or whatever. But I can't imagine you're suggesting that OL ep stands in a place so exalted that the theme should not be revisited. And can't be bettered.
Aliens is a great continuation of Scott's classic (which itself owes its existence to horror and sci-fi stories and film that came before it) and is itself a minor classic that's been recognized as one of the few sequels that if not equals, is a worthy comanion piece to its predecessor.
And Abyss a is great sci-fi film. Boring? I don't see that. At all! Did you find the original Alien boring? The Abyss moves at a much quicker pace than that film. Of course my favorate sci-fi film is 2001! Someone elsewhere on this board compared watching that movie to watching paint dry. I don't agree but that's very funny. I can see why someone might say that. Very funny.

But back to originality. Jesus the Christ said "There's nothing under the sun that's new." All of Cameron's work has been freash and exciting. IMO
Quote:
That's really not a big problem for me.

Abyss ....was a way better film than Levinson's adaption.
I concur!
Quote:
Of the ones I've seen (all but Pirahna 2), the only two Cameron films I don't like are True Lies and The Abyss (just too long and boring for me).
I just can't agree.
Quote:
Can't say I've ever seen the theatrical cut. Depends on which one they constantly show on Encore over here in the US. I just lose interest in the movie, and haven't ever been able to sit through the entire thing.
The first time I saw the new Trek film I thought it may've been a bit too slam-bam; too intense. I this age of the nanosecond and even smaller delta T's of temporal measurement "hours are like days and minutes like hours". And thoughtful reflection is like death. In this ADD, ADHD, MOUSEIEIO culture in which we live....
But you can WAKE UP now. I'm through.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCat View Post
I have seen Abyss many times...waited till it came out on DVD, never saw it in theater. I have found it to be the only movie that my family WILL NOT talk, move, get up, eat, drink, or even remember to breathe, during. It held the attention of a three and a five year old for almost three hours!! and they asked me if they could watch it again, the next day.

And True Lies was just plain fun, I thought...I laughed almost all the way through it!
Good to here! There's hope.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'm really at a loss after the rant, so I'll just say The Abyss isn't my cup of tea. Titanic, on the other hand, was fantastic and kept my attention all three times in the theater and still does.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Lieutenant Commander

well, I have to admit I read the book years before the movie came out, for Abyss...so I knew why the movie took so long for some things, knowing what to expect.

Titanic, that one made me cry, scream, laugh, and wonder about how many other stories from that era we have lost.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 05-31-2009, 06:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCat View Post
well, I have to admit I read the book years before the movie came out, for Abyss...so I knew why the movie took so long for some things, knowing what to expect.

Titanic, that one made me cry, scream, laugh, and wonder about how many other stories from that era we have lost.
I've always been interested in the Titanic, so that movie was released at the perfect time. There will never be a movie like that again. It was a craze!
Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 AM
Federation Councillor

It was definitely more the recreation of the ship and the factual elements of the sinking that attracted me to Titanic, more so than the love story.

But when compared to say, Pearl Harbour which tried to ape the Titanic effect, the love story is actually a masterpiece of writing in comparison.

(Never understood why they put the love story in PH. It totally wrecked it.)

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
It was definitely more the recreation of the ship and the factual elements of the sinking that attracted me to Titanic, more so than the love story.

But when compared to say, Pearl Harbour which tried to ape the Titanic effect, the love story is actually a masterpiece of writing in comparison.

(Never understood why they put the love story in PH. It totally wrecked it.)
Yeah, I have no intention of ever watching Pearl Harbor again. I didn't mind it as much the first couple times, but it has not aged well AT ALL.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Yeah, I have no intention of ever watching Pearl Harbor again. I didn't mind it as much the first couple times, but it has not aged well AT ALL.
Oddly enough, I just saw on the BBC news this morning that the very last survivor of the Titanic - Milvina Dean - died at 97 yesterday.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Fleet Admiral

Cameron should make a movie about the Britannic (the lesser known sister ship) which was sunk in WWI. It would follow the aftermath of Titanic quite well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMHS_Britannic