The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > why does Spock Prime think Kirk is the capt?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:08 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
In the cave, he meets the young Kirk. In the original timeline, Spock must surly have known that a Kirk that young would not be Capt.
Don't ask these sorts of questions or you'll be strung up and called an elitist fan! Surely a movie does NOT have to make sense in order to do well with the average movie audience.
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Samuel Samuel is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
That and the pose looked kind of hot, so I won't complain.
Well there you go. You like the thought of Spock kneeling before you like a good subbie. Good a reason as any.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:11 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
ALso, when Nero captured Spock Prime, why did Spock fall to his knees? Very un Vulcan like.
I'll have to pay attention to that scene when I watch it on DVD. I agree, Spock would have remained standing and dignified, unless physically forced to go to his knees.
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:13 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern2356 View Post
Better than to ask why Spock knelled down is to ask why didn't they beam him to the mouth of the cave in the first place. It would have shaved off the 20 or 30 seconds needed to keep mom from falling to her death.

Ahh yes it's a movie.
I think this was mentioned in the movie. Wasn't there interference from the drilling beam so the targeting scanner was not as accurate? I think there was even a line where they are afraid they might beam Spock into solid rock. Am I imagining these things? My memory doesn't always serve me well.
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-30-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:13 PM
The Saint's Avatar
The Saint The Saint is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,575
Default

Oh hell, now you just gave me an image of a Vulcan Domme. Damn you! (not really, s'kinda hawt)
__________________
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:14 PM
lonstar70 lonstar70 is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I'll have to pay attention to that scene when I watch it on DVD. I agree, Spock would have remained standing and dignified, unless physically forced to go to his knees.
There as a TOS episode where they all knelt down before beaming.
__________________
Captain Kirk to the Enterprise in "The Naked Time":

"I'll never lose you!"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:28 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
There as a TOS episode where they all knelt down before beaming.
I was referring to the scene where it is said Spock exits his ship and kneels in front of Nero. The kneeling beeming position doesn't bother me one bit

Hey! I even quoted YOUR post regarding "when Nero captured Spock"!!
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:38 PM
celticarchie's Avatar
celticarchie celticarchie is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 597
Default

"Kneel Spock, and pledge eternal loyalty...to Zod!"

Oh, I just had a mental image of Spock in the Superman costume.

Well it works though, doesn't it. Spock - Superman...they both begin with an "S"

Perhaps, if Spock gets exposed to kryptonite he'll develop SuperVulcan powers and be able to fly around Vulcan's original location really, really fast, locally reversing time until Vulcan and his mum is back. Then all he has to do is spin around again to get the local-time flowing in the correct direction. With no big mining ship in orbit, Vulcan can't be blown up.

Ha! Vulcan saved!
__________________

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Yagami Crewman's Avatar
Yagami Crewman Yagami Crewman is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Goose Creek, South Carolina
Posts: 1,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
"Kneel Spock, and pledge eternal loyalty...to Zod!"

Oh, I just had a mental image of Spock in the Superman costume.

Well it works though, doesn't it. Spock - Superman...they both begin with an "S"

Perhaps, if Spock gets exposed to kryptonite he'll develop SuperVulcan powers and be able to fly around Vulcan's original location really, really fast, locally reversing time until Vulcan and his mum is back. Then all he has to do is spin around again to get the local-time flowing in the correct direction. With no big mining ship in orbit, Vulcan can't be blown up.

Ha! Vulcan saved!
So the whole thing was really a plot by Lex Luthor to drive up real estate prices in the New Mexico desert?
__________________
Ever notice that many of the same people who want variety in life frown very hard on vanilla... But without Vanilla, Baskin Robbins just wouldn't BE 31 flavors.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-30-2009, 03:00 PM
AyanEva AyanEva is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern2356 View Post
Better than to ask why Spock knelled down is to ask why didn't they beam him to the mouth of the cave in the first place. It would have shaved off the 20 or 30 seconds needed to keep mom from falling to her death.

Ahh yes it's a movie.
The cave was collapsing. Probably not a good idea to stand in the mouth of it or anywhere too close to it while waiting for beam out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Well there you go. You like the thought of Spock kneeling before you like a good subbie. Good a reason as any.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.