The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > STAR TREK has hit the $200
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-30-2009, 01:52 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
I could apply everything you just said to TWOK.

I think you just said a whole lot of nothing.

I'll make a really long thread answering your question maybe later tonight.
Ummm, didn't I already say that NONE of the movies have the same qualities as what made Trek great on television? You think the "nerd" stigma came from nothingness?

Don't bother with the thread, there are a ton of them already.
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-30-2009, 01:53 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Especially as not every single hour of Trek ever made examined the human condition or was cerebral anyway.

Plenty of it was far worse than anything in the new film.

Basically 'cerebral' Trek simply doesn't work on the big screen. It's not fitted for it. You have to put it on TV to get it. So if the movie is all action - that's fine by me.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-30-2009, 01:56 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Does every single thread have to veer off into this good/bad argument? It's not even close to being on topic.
I was defending the guy that said Trek has sold out (I'm paraphrasing). This thread is about how much cash Star Trek has made. He agrees with me that this movie lacks aspects that made TV Trek such a long lasting television show(s). While I will wait to judge the NEXT movie before I declare Trek a sell out, this movie did a pretty good job of making that case a good one.
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:01 PM
HFM's Avatar
HFM HFM is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 20
Default

Agreed MrQ1701 number 1 was a total disgrace although the character of bones was the only sucessful venture.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:02 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Especially as not every single hour of Trek ever made examined the human condition or was cerebral anyway..
What about TV Trek would you say made it great, even if those aspects were in a minority of episodes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Plenty of it was far worse than anything in the new film..
I'm not quite as harsh when judging epoisodes. I actually think there are way more good episodes than bad ones. Maybe it's because I'm not a writer or educated enough that I am not as critical. What I don't understand is how you can be harsh with the episodes, yet NOT harsh with this movie. It's almost like your applying two sets of standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Basically 'cerebral' Trek simply doesn't work on the big screen. It's not fitted for it. You have to put it on TV to get it. So if the movie is all action - that's fine by me.
I think this is why there are two sets of standards, one for TV and one for the big screen. Don't you think that may be why the movies didn't do so well? The fans of the TV series didn't support them because they lacked the TV qualities they cherished so much, and the average movie goer said "Not that 'nerdy' Trek again!"
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-30-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:02 PM
starbase Britain's Avatar
starbase Britain starbase Britain is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 350
Default

Im so chuffed this movie is going to sail past the $300 million mark worldwide. i wonder how much money it would have made if trekkies hadnt gone to se it about 6 times each!!! its a flippant remark but i wonder how much impact that has really had.
starbase Britain
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:05 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase Britain View Post
Im so chuffed this movie is going to sail past the $300 million mark worldwide. i wonder how much money it would have made if trekkies hadnt gone to se it about 6 times each!!! its a flippant remark but i wonder how much impact that has really had.
starbase Britain
Too bad they don't take polls at the theaters as you're about to enter. "Do you consider yourself a fan of Star Trek?"

Those poll results would be a nice thing to see.
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Samuel Samuel is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Does every single thread have to veer off into this good/bad argument? It's not even close to being on topic.
Hmmm... perhaps the success means people have been wanting a non-cerebral Trek for a long time as a refreshing change of pace. T-bone steaks are wonderful but get old if its the only kind of meat you eat. Sometimes you gotta have a great ol juicy triple-decker bbq cheeseburger with all the trimmings.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:17 PM
HFM's Avatar
HFM HFM is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 20
Default

Right on the mark
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-30-2009, 02:18 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Hmmm... perhaps the success means people have been wanting a non-cerebral Trek for a long time as a refreshing change of pace. T-bone steaks are wonderful but get old if its the only kind of meat you eat. Sometimes you gotta have a great ol juicy triple-decker bbq cheeseburger with all the trimmings.
Imagine a steak house that draws national attention because of it's great T-Bone steaks (to use your example). Surely there are other restaurants around that serve different food, and it's great to visit them every now and then. Now imagine the steakhouse STOPS selling it's most cherished T-Bone because it wants to attract a different audience. Hey, aren't there places that are popular because of the giant steaks? Kind of the same thing.

p.s. Now I want a bbq cheeseburger! Mmmmmm...
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-30-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.