The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why don't they tell the turboshaft....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Commander

xD I guess it makes sense to have an extra seal on the turbolifts - to help preserve the ship's atmosphere if there's a hull breach. An airlock's a great way to deal with decompression, contamination, even radiation leaks, which is good since the turboshaft runs through basically the entire ship.

Who else was impressed by the new movie's scene of Spock boarding the turbolift in the shuttlebay, then emerging on the bridge - with no visible change of camera angle or switching to a new scene? It was seamless, so either a neat physical effect - with the turbolift prop standing right between the two sets - or else it was a very smooth computer effect. Either way, rather cool.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dunsel View Post
I saw the movie for the sixth time tonight - and saw something weird in the turbolift. I think when Spock first goes to the Enterprise bridge and exits the turbolift, there is a stenciled sign in the lift saying "Airlock". How convenient !!! Double duty as an elevator and an airlock!

"Wesley Crusher please report to the aft airlock on the double please..."
NO! no spacing the annoying kid! I don't care HOW annoying he is, you can't space him!
Old 05-30-2009, 01:39 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Best guess?
The turbolift seems keyed to vital areas of the ship for exceptionally rapid response to those areas. So a simple button push of the designated key area is all that is needed.
Spock pushed a button and went from the shuttlebay to the bridge in almost nothing flat; literally. Don't recall how many buttons were on the panel, but I can't imagine more than half a dozen or so.

Interestingly, Chekov has to run from the bridge to a (the?) transporter control room so it appears to be that ship service is not a vital function needing a superduper fast turbolift access point.
Agreed - I think the turbolift network on the ship is not as extensive as maybe previously thought but used to connect areas of the ship that need to be gotten to very quickly.

Though since presummably Spock's turbolift had to go along the secondary hull, up the neck, along the saucer and up into the dome - it did seem to move there extremely fast!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-30-2009, 01:43 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
xD I guess it makes sense to have an extra seal on the turbolifts - to help preserve the ship's atmosphere if there's a hull breach. An airlock's a great way to deal with decompression, contamination, even radiation leaks, which is good since the turboshaft runs through basically the entire ship.

Who else was impressed by the new movie's scene of Spock boarding the turbolift in the shuttlebay, then emerging on the bridge - with no visible change of camera angle or switching to a new scene? It was seamless, so either a neat physical effect - with the turbolift prop standing right between the two sets - or else it was a very smooth computer effect. Either way, rather cool.
wow. so I wasn't the only one noticed that?
Old 05-30-2009, 01:46 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Agreed - I think the turbolift network on the ship is not as extensive as maybe previously thought but used to connect areas of the ship that need to be gotten to very quickly.

Though since presummably Spock's turbolift had to go along the secondary hull, up the neck, along the saucer and up into the dome - it did seem to move there extremely fast!
I bet your ears end up popping because of the speed. Like the express elevators on a really tall building.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
I bet your ears end up popping because of the speed. Like the express elevators on a really tall building.
I'd hope they'd have the pressurization tech necessary to prevent ear-poppage in general.
ears popping in the 23rd century? what kind of future'd that be?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGeekKing View Post
I'd hope they'd have the pressurization tech necessary to prevent ear-poppage in general.
ears popping in the 23rd century? what kind of future'd that be?
lolz Maybe the airlock door helps with that.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:09 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
lolz Maybe the airlock door helps with that.
I'd hope SOMETHING'D help. Ear popping is kinda my own private hell. I'd hate to think we'll never be rid of it.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:15 AM
Rear Admiral

If the turbolifts were voice-controlled Chekov might never be able to get anywhere on the ship!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post

That's great point.

"I'll never lose you!"