The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I know I'm not too popular around here but...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 05:15 AM
Ensign

That's why I love Star Trek. I was going through some tough times recently, and turning to Voyager was my best comfort. Star Trek is unique in its sense of optimism and camaraderie. Even when things are blowing up and people are shooting at each other and dying, you still know that everything will be alright somehow--it's a great big comforting hug.
I've always loved Trek (I was one of those middle school nerds who always had a Star Trek book), and I take great comfort in knowing that it is one of the few stable things in my life, a constant I can always turn to. I suppose that's why the new movie unnerves me so much. I depend on those canon constants! But if it rekindles interest in Trek, so much the better.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:34 AM
Rear Admiral

You're cool with me, CelticArchie. Your voice and opinions are valued and welcome. And I know many here agree. It's good to have you as a Trek forum friend.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Lieutenant

your not the only on who gets made fun of i used to and kind of still do Star trek is fun and entertaining and people should not judge you for that because fact of the matter is they shouldnt judge a book by its cover. and yes its not easy having to deal with bullies but you know you got friends who are stre trek fans and you dont need to worry about them it will eventually catch up with them
Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I was lucky, I always had my Mom to share Trek with growing up... so even if kids at school thought I was weird, I would just say "Thank You, I'll take that as a compliment!"
Trek helped me through her death, as well...watching every episode I could find reminded me of all the good things about her, instead of how she died. The hope that Star Trek always has made me know that I would get through it, and be stronger for it.

And I have never seen any expressions of hostility towards you...maybe your opinions, once in a while, but not you yourself.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
If it helps you guys/gals understand me a little better. I got into Star Trek in the 90s, TNG was just about to air in the UK, at the time it was really unpopular to be into Sci-Fi, and if you were a Trekkie you were really stuffed!

I was bullied pretty much constantly for five years at secondary/high school, both before I was a Trek Fan & after. Star Trek, both TNG & Original got me through that, being a Trek Fan was kind of like my rebellion against the bullies. It was like "no this is mine, I like it & you *** aren't gonna take it from me".

So really, if the new Star Trek movie. Has done for someone out there, what both TNG & the orginal (even DS9 to a degree), or sparked imaginations or re-kindled something in anyone? Then it is a fantastic movie and what I say about it really doesn't matter.

Perhaps some of us old fans (I'm only 30, it's not that old) should remember what McCoy said to Data in "Encounter at Farpoint", and apply that to Star Trek.

"She's a new ship, but she's got the right name...." Come on folks, you remember the rest.

It doesn't matter what other people think of you. They are often irrelevant. Being popular is irrelevant. If you give in to them then they would have created just another clone, but you are unique. Fight their conformity and swallowness. Their scorn and hate do not matter.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
It doesn't matter what other people think of you. They are often irrelevant. Being popular is irrelevant. If you give in to them then they would have created just another clone, but you are unique. Fight their conformity and swallowness. Their scorn and hate do not matter.
Saq, that is easily one of the best things you have ever said to anyone on this forum.

I salute you in the name of the Federation Council!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Captain

When I went through a tough divorce several years back (my kids were young), Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, and The Search for Spock helped me through some really tough times. (how I cried when Spock died).