The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Given the fast pace of the first movie...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by classsy View Post
are u from that onion piece? lol

shut up already, i want action and more action
Well that wasn't very nice.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by classsy View Post
are u from that onion piece? lol

shut up already, i want action and more action
You sound like someone who thinks there is too much talking in Jenna Jameson flicks.

I kid.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
I guess the longer movie is usually reserved for the sequel though. That seems to be conventional thinking.

Batman Begins was only 2 hours long. And The Dark Knight was over 2 and a half hours long.

The first Pirates of the Caribbean was 2 hours long and the other two were more around the 2.5 hour mark as well.
Yeah, but they felt even longer to sit through.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Given the fast pace of the first movie and if the second is just as fast are we ever going to see any longer scenes with more dialog and interaction between the main characters to allow for their development?
I hope the next movie remains not talky. How did you miss the intense characterizations in this film? Character also comes through in action and in the choices characters make in tough situations. It doesn't really need anybody sitting around having a long, chatty conversation.

Bones is a recovering alcoholic with a heart of gold and a wariness against the world. Jim goes from being a frustrated, angry youth to finding a place where he can channel his energies and ambitions. Over the course of the movie we watch him learn you can't just yell at the top of your lungs -- that there are more subtle ways to command. Spock is beset between two worlds, his human lover calling to his human side and the expectations of his heritage chafing him, but still finding strength in Vulcan philosophy.

Uhura is young, smart, and mature but has a little bit of arrogance and we still see glimpses of her playful side. Scotty is too smart for his own space, a little bad at relating to people, a little washed up, but invigorated by a challenge. Sulu makes his share of mistakes, but he's driven and competent and gets by on a helping of determination and with an easy laugh.

Chekov's a little more two-dimensional, but Yelchin plays the lines he has to maximum effect, full of energy and optimism and wounded when he can't save everyone but able to see his duties through despite the sensitivity of youth.

The characters pop off the screen with more depth in one movie than 15 episodes of TOS, which I love dearly, but which was pretty pulpy.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Given the fast pace of the first movie and if the second is just as fast are we ever going to see any longer scenes with more dialog and interaction between the main characters to allow for their development?
Well I hope the second is slower and has a little more breathing room for story. I'd like to see a little more of that 'exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new life and civs' in the new one.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"