The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What kind of ship was the Kelvin?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post

When was the Klingon neutral zone established?
The Klingon Neutral Zone was established in the aftermath of the events depicted in the TOS episode, "Errand of Mercy;" I believe it was enforced by the Organians. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it was referred to on occasion as the "Organian Neutral Zone." I guess that puts it in about 2266 - '67, according to the Prime Timeline.

Just so ya' know.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I absolutely LOVE the U.S.S. Kelvin, and would like to know more factual information on her, as well as toys, models, and the like. I know she had little screen time, but she was important, and a beauty!

-JT
http://home.comcast.net/~jeditray/

Last edited by JediTray : 05-27-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH-313 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515

When was the Klingon neutral zone established?
The Klingon Neutral Zone was established in the aftermath of the events depicted in the TOS episode, "Errand of Mercy;" I believe it was enforced by the Organians. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it was referred to on occasion as the "Organian Neutral Zone." I guess that puts it in about 2266 - '67, according to the Prime Timeline.

Just so ya' know.
It was never referred to as the Organian Neutral Zone (you're thinking of the Organian Peace Treaty instead). The very first reference of a Neutral Zone existing between the Federation and the Klingons didn't occur until TWOK, so it could have been established at any point before then.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Vice Admiral

She is quite stunning isn't she

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 05-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Commander

From the Dossiers on the official Web Site, she's a Survey Vessel, and that would fit with the dialogue heard at the start of the film.

She's absolutely great, and I loved her introduction at the beginning of the movie.

She has probably around 800 officers and crew, and enough shuttles for an evacuation, or other missions as necessary.

Her crew would make sense, as well as the countless shuttles, if we consider that she may need to make extensive observations of planetary environments etc., where a large number of survey officers go to different parts of a planet, making detailed and thorough observations very quickly.

The single Warp Engine also makes sense, since speed is not really much of a concern, but the capability to perform large studies is (hence size and crew).

In the Prime Timeline, after this point, the Constitution Class is more a multimission ship, and far more automated in many areas (such as Engineering), meaning she scould be built smaller.

In the new timeline, however, the destruction of the Kelvin, and the fact that the Romulans turned up, resulted in a delay in the Constitution Class project, different Engineers being used, and a shift in the way Starfleet viewed the technology which led to a later built, slightly more advanced, and much larger Enterprise.

But yeah, I'd love to know more about this ship in some "Canon" form. Even if we know her official Class name would be great.

Personally, I'd like to propose a Class Name for the man who headed the team that gave us this movie, and IMHO, rescued Star Trek: The Kelvin should be designates as an Abrams Class Survey Ship.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Ensign

I liked the Kelvin too, and was sorry to see her go. And if Pike was accurate about Mr. Kirk saving 800 lives, what was her total crew complement? Looked like a bunch of folks didn't make it...
Old 05-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Ensign

If I'm
Not mistaken that it's a since vessele, yes a survey vessel, but seeing as it's named after a scientiest does that mean were going to seen names like the uss Hawkings, the Einstien,the Goddard, Divinci, and newton? Sticking to a theme that the first ship of the class designates the name of following like ships, Ie: the subs of the attack class : los angles class boats are named after us cities, carries are named after presidents and historic naval officers?

Thinking more of it, the ships of constitution class ships don't exactly mesh. Same with the execlsior class and as well with many other classes. Recently with the Luna class ships those are named after moons. Titian, Io, Luna probably now Pluto. Maybe with the nebula class ships. Is phoneix a name of a nebula? Doubt there was a use mutara or use crab. Blah WTF, ship names per class in trek don't mesh. LOL I'm going to bed. Someone correct me though if Im wrong.