The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > If you guys could "re-boot" a series...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman View Post
space 1999? how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I know how I'd re-boot "1999": I'd skip the whole "blasted out of orbit" BS, and instead have Moonbase Alpha almost self-sufficient... but then war breaks out on Earth, and the population of MBA is stranded... and has to survive with the supplies they have for the foreseeable future... and some VERY difficult decisions have to be made... otherwise it's going to be Rapa Noui all over again.
Asteroids collide with the earth and the moon. The asteroid that hits the moon is enough to change the orbit of the moon and hurl it out into space. At the same time, I'd create a reasonable explanation that due to the asteroid strike, it causes the moon to spin faster and allows for gravity. Maybe not 1G but enough that it feels like gravity. Or something like that.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Here they are.
Martin Caidin's Cyborg series of novels Cyborg (1972) | Operation Nuke (1973) | High Crystal (1974) | Cyborg IV (1975)
Absolutely.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Um... if the moon spun faster, surface gravity would have been lowered, due to centrifical force... (like hanging onto a pole of an out of control merry go round) And even if the moon were blasted out of orbit, it would reach the nearest star system, even if it were aimed in that direction) for about 3 trillion years.

Why not just have some aliens kidnap the moon, and take it to a specially engineered solar system... where examples of the galaxy's intelligent life have been collected? (sort of like a zoo, but maybe it's also to find out which races can get along... and the others will be... eliminated.) Then the Eagles could, halfway believably, visit a different civilization each week... or the others could visit Moonbase Alpha...

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Vice Admiral

Well since its in your tagline I would say The Prisoner. But since its already being done it doesnt count. I just hope its a good remake. Also, I would also have suggested Red Dwarf. Never saw the US pilot but heard it was horrible. I'm not sure large audiences here would appreciate the humor even if they did it right.

As for an old show... UFO. The idea of battling invaders is an old one now but I'm sure some new twists could be added. One thing is to avoid trying to tie it to contemporary society too much. Say something like destroying the Golden Gate bridge in the pilot, but covered up as a terrorist attack. That way people know anything can happen.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Federation Councillor

The Prisoner wouldn't make it as a reboot. Alot of it was realted to the ideas and thoughts that were the 60's.

But in the late 80's there was a graphic novel done that took place "20 years later" where number 6 was the only one left in ruined village. That might work as a film.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
The Prisoner wouldn't make it as a reboot. Alot of it was realted to the ideas and thoughts that were the 60's.

But in the late 80's there was a graphic novel done that took place "20 years later" where number 6 was the only one left in ruined village. That might work as a film.
I have that someplace. Wasnt bad but wasnt great. As for a reboot, its coming later this year. IIRC Ian Mckellen (sp?) is Number 2. The guy (cant remember his name) who was Jesus in The Passion is Number 6. It's a shorter mini-series.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
I have that someplace. Wasnt bad but wasnt great. As for a reboot, its coming later this year. IIRC Ian Mckellen (sp?) is Number 2. The guy (cant remember his name) who was Jesus in The Passion is Number 6. It's a shorter mini-series.
So it's for TV? That might work.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
So it's for TV? That might work.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1043714/
Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Vice Admiral

Mechassault

Old 05-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I haven't even heard of most of these shows...guess they must have been on the air between 1978 and 1986. no Tv in my house then....

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!