The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > the office
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase Britain View Post
it amazes me this Bitish and American sense of humour. they are very different dont you think? ive seen both the USA and UK version and although im probably biased i have to say the British version is just awesome. one of the best comedies to come out of Great Britain in many a year i recon. I just dont get the USA one - no disrespect - i just dont. must be a cultural thing. when i heard that America is doing its own 'Office' i thought to myself 'why dont they just watch ours'? perhaps some of our stuff just wouldnt translate or something.

I heard a saying once that Britain and America are two nations divided by a common language' LOL which is very good i think. I love America and have visited many times over the years its my favourite place of all but the humour does go by me sometimes!!

starbase Britain
No disrespect taken here, Starbase. I'm lucky enough to've gotten into Peter Sellers' through the Pink Panther movies (on the telly) in the late 60's then Monty Python's Flying Circus in the 70's, brill! Then Fawlty Towers, and The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and the Python films. Brit and US humor are different. It could almost be said we're two nations divided by an uncommon sense of humor! But don't give up on us. I'm biased as well- biased towards funny! I've found both are awesome and both can be appreciated.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
No disrespect taken here, Starbase. I'm lucky enough to've gotten into Peter Sellers' through the Pink Panther movies (on the telly) in the late 60's then Monty Python's Flying Circus in the 70's, brill! Then Fawlty Towers, and The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and the Python films. Brit and US humor are different. It could almost be said we're two nations divided by an uncommon sense of humor! But don't give up on us. I'm biased as well- biased towards funny! I've found both are awesome and both can be appreciated.
Thanks Metal Beastie.

Theres no way im giving up on America LOL - i have so many happy memories of the places and the people.

Dont get me wrong, ive had a chuckle at friends, Frasier etc from time to time but never followed them religiously. I always liked SGT Bilko with phil silvers if it was on and when i was a kid i used to watch American stuff like WKRP in Cinncinatti as well as Happy days etc. i thought those were pretty good.

Now then, you mentioned some golden nuggets there Beastie!! Peter sellers was a class act indeed - a true great of Brit comedy and Fawlty towers remains as funny today as it was when it was first screened in the 70's on the BBC. Im a fan of people like sellers, Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson, Morecambe and Wise, Benny Hill and so on.

Ive just realised whilst typing that as far as i know we dont tend to remake american made comedies to suit UK viewers as the USA does. we just show the US version here. thats strange isnt it. I can think of a number of UK comedies remade by the USA but i cant think of any the other way around. Im happy to be corrected of course. perhaps we have but just that im not aware of them.

Its also Ironic that (in my opinion) the worlds greatest comedy double act were British and and American ...Laurel & Hardy.

yes i agree perhaps we are two nations divided by an uncommon sense of humour LOL.

cheers
starbase Britain
Old 05-21-2009, 06:38 AM
Lieutenant

ya thats what i was going to say they work hard to make the show great i personally like them both