The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Folks, this is a whole NEW BEAST (throw out everything you know)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Ensign

I agree for the most part. I just don't agree with history not "really" changing. There is no way to tell by one theatrical (when there is clearly potential for a full fledged 5-8 year) TV series what the history will now be. The slightest of events can change the course of events dramatically. Just that alone has been accomplished by the Narada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
No. No, they do not. And that's because they're not ****ing insane. I like the Original Series. It still exists. Now there's an alternative continuity that exists alongside it. I like this too.

It is really not a difficult concept: the original Star Trek still exists, all its episodes and movies and canon and lore. They are always there are waiting for those of us who appreciate them. But there's now a single new story set within a different version of that same fictional universe.

I say it again: the Original Series is still there and is utterly untouched by the new film. History hasn't really been changed - that only happened in the new movie, not in real life.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Ensign

The universe this Trek takes place in is still exactly the same. We can't expect their adventures to be completely different. Only earth history was affected by Nero's actions (and eventually Vulcan's). The other races from TNG onward are still exactly where they were doing exactly what they were doing. The Federation will expand and encounter them. If the mandate of Starfleet is still exploration, then it will likely still follow a similar progression to the events of the original timeline. All that's different is that the ships' interior is now painted white, and has an inordinate amount of spotlights installed that would aim to blind you at every turn.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebower View Post
The universe this Trek takes place in is still exactly the same. We can't expect their adventures to be completely different. Only earth history was affected by Nero's actions (and eventually Vulcan's). The other races from TNG onward are still exactly where they were doing exactly what they were doing. The Federation will expand and encounter them. If the mandate of Starfleet is still exploration, then it will likely still follow a similar progression to the events of the original timeline. All that's different is that the ships' interior is now painted white, and has an inordinate amount of spotlights installed that would aim to blind you at every turn.
I'm afraid I'll need to disagree, a little. Earth's history was affected 25 years BEFORE the majority of events that took place in the movie. Over 25 years, the ongoing ripple effect in an active, interstellar society would have effects reaching MUCH farther than just earth. Sulu could have been born on Venus because his father was re-assigned because the guy that SHOULD have had that job got blown away on the Kelvin. Uhura's mother my live on Alpha Centauri for similar reasons. 25 years is a lot of time for effects to have been felt.
Not Anti matter
But IS the catalyst of a truly awesome
STAR TREK
movie.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Midshipman

I understand why they're trying to reboot the series, although as an avid trekkie I don't like it. It's hard to attract new viewers when you sometimes need 30 years of television watching under your belt to understand what's going on.

In addition, regardless of when everything was rebooted, I don't remember Spock showing any attraction to Uhura and vice versa. I kept hoping that the red matter was going to reset everything to the proper timeframe, but it never happened. Did I miss this in the movie or was there some explanation for the Spick/Uhura attraction?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Commander

Spock/Uhura is built up through the movie with the mutual respect they show for each other - most crucially, when Spock assigns her to another ship "to avoid the appearance of favouritism" (yeah, right) and she refuses. Rather than both of them arguing the point, they reach an agreement swiftly, despite him technically being the superior officer.
They're both scientists, of a sort, so there's some common ground there.

And lastly... they flirted a bit during the series - like in Charlie X when he's playing his lyre in the ship's lounge, and Uhura's dancing around him in a very flirty manner, that he definitely appears to enjoy.