The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What was Hopeful About the New Star Trek movie?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
... i didn't find anything particularly hopeful or optimistic about the film itself...
Old friends coming together?

A threat to the Federation overcome?

It's easy to get jaded I guess.

What would you consider a hopeful, optimistic message, OP?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Besides giving me a sense of optimism that the franchise won't be ignored in the coming years, i didn't find anything particularly hopeful or optimistic about the film itself, but people keep talking about how its a "feel good" movie, or how it fits in with the Obama era. I just don't see how this film has a message of hope or optimism in it. Am I missing something?
What does it need to make a movie appear optimist these days? Lets see:

Your hero does not live in a rotten wet cave full of bats? Check.
Your hero does not torture suspects to save the day? Check.
How many innocent girls are slaughtered by insane serial killers? None.
Is the moral message of your movie that ethics are for loosers? Negative.
Do your heroes win because they simply are true americans? Nope.
Do they win because they simply kill more people then the villains? Nope.
Do they win at all? Quite so.

Extraquestion:
Do the punchlines of your jokes involve blood, lacerations, cerebral matter, severed arms, legs or heads, broken out teeth, pain or misery in general? Nope.

Congratulations! You have apparently made a movie that does not make your audience feel to abandon all hope, buy some more guns and trust that some more wars, death and mass destruction wont matter because the world is screwed anyways and only the strongest survive. You can now advertise your movie as optimistic.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
Please do not speak for me, sir. YOU and others with your opinion "cannot do that". There is nothing for me to "get over".
well said.
the light is returning to the forum.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

How many "fans" miss the point that this is a new, alternate timeline, which allows for "new adventures" with a "fresh perspective" so that the original canon that they hold onto like a wallet in New Orleans is not at all altered or done away with?

They can't see the obvious advantages it has. They'd rather just b***h and moan that their Star Trek has been swept under the rug (nothing further from the truth) than see that "Hey, Trek is alive and well again, and is probably even more popular than ever." And that the next movie might be more in tune with what they'd like to see more of in a Trek story.

There's the message of hope as well....Trek is alive and well!

But Star Trek needed a good and thorough cleaning before it was reintroduced. If JJ and co. stuck with more of the same as had come from previous Trek films, Trek would've been taken off life support, and allowed to die.

And I say this as a fan of Trek for almost 40 years.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
How many "fans" miss the point that this is a new, alternate timeline, which allows for "new adventures" with a "fresh perspective" so that the original canon that they hold onto like a wallet in New Orleans is not at all altered or done away with?

They can't see the obvious advantages it has. They'd rather just b***h and moan that their Star Trek has been swept under the rug (nothing further from the truth) than see that "Hey, Trek is alive and well again, and is probably even more popular than ever." And that the next movie might be more in tune with what they'd like to see more of in a Trek story. But Star Trek needed a good and thorough cleaning before it was reintroduced. If JJ and co. stuck with more of the same as had come from previous Trek films, Trek would've been taken off life support, and allowed to die.

And I say this as a fan of Trek for almost 40 years.
Sure there are things I would have done differently, but I refuse to nitpick this film apart until it is no longer enjoyable.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC_1701A View Post
Sure there are things I would have done differently, but I refuse to nitpick this film apart until it is no longer enjoyable.

Whew!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Commander

Quote:
bravo!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Captain

Quote:
No nitpicking apart the movie? Isnt this here the board where people, you know, discuss the movie?

Seriously, I think some people are taking the criticism just a little to emotional. You loved the flick, allright. Anything else?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
No nitpicking apart the movie? Isnt this here the board where people, you know, discuss the movie?

Seriously, I think some people are taking the criticism just a little to emotional. You loved the flick, allright. Anything else?
Discuss yes. But some people are just taking it too far. And thats my opinion.