The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > A few questionable items in the film
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Midshipman

Default A few questionable items in the film

Ok, I checked through the threads, but didn't find these items addressed, but I apologise to the board if I missed them:

1-why would spock in the 24th century be the one to administer help to the Romulans, by himself, no less. Wouldn't Vulcan - or the Federation - have sent a science vessel filled with scientists?

Spock at that point was probably long retired, and had last functioned as an ambassador, not a scientist, so his skillset was no doubt long out of date.

2-why would Nero need to waste time trying to obtain the Starfleet defense codes when he had already easily destroyed 47 klingon ships, at least 8 Starfleet vessels, plus who knows how many more during his 25-year presence since the Narada fell into the black hole?

3-why would Nero still be angry after going back in time, as this would have presented him with an obvious opportunity to tell people that in year 2389, the "star next to Romulus will go supernova, can you please spend the next 128 years preparing to stop it?" He should have been thrilled, as he retained his memory of the explosion, knew exactly when it would take place, and all that was needed was for him to tell Spock "just leave on your mission, maybe a month earlier".

This would create a paradox though, because as soon as Spock ever stopped the star, this timeline would vanish as Nero's ship would be able to avoid the blackhole, and would not begin his adventure to attack the Federation.

Also, now that Spock would know when the star would explode, he could start his process at the needed earlier time to make sure he does indeed fix it. The irony of this situation is that Spock could go through an infinite number of loops - like in the ST:TNG episode - until he actually stopped the star's explosion, as he had an infinite number of chances to get it right.

4-in the original timeline kirk was a fully-experienced 35 year old when he took over as captain of the Enterprise. How would he become captain as a 25-year old with minimal field experience, not even having completed academy training?

How would other officers like Spock, Uhura, Sulu etc., who seemingly were older/more experienced accept his leadership?

There were other plot points that seemed odd, but these were the ones that jumped out at me. Please let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by second_coming : 05-19-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Not to mention, the supernova had actually occurred, and yet they had the time to build a ship and approach the supernova... ("when the unthinkable happened") The blast from the star reaches Romulus. What?

Okay, if the blast had been detected thanks to some probes that moved at FTL, they would still have several years before the shockwave reached a neighboring solar system. If it had already exploded, they would know... down to the second... when the shockwave would hit. (186,000 mps is a constant in this universe, unless under special conditions like the warp drive.)

So... what the hey?

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Ensign

I'm assuming the Jellyfish was already completed by the time it was needed to perform it's task.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well Spock will always be a Scientist first and foremost..
That actually wasn't out of the ordinary.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

Where were Narada's shields.
Big time....no no

Old 05-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Ensign

In the "prequel countdown" comics (I believe they're official and accepted?) it's established that the jellyfish ship existed before the supernova. It was built by a well-known federation engineer. Don't remember all the details, but I think Spock was still on Romulus and Nero was one of his followers. Also, Nero and his crew delivered the "red matter" to Spock on Vulcan where he had returned to consult with experts. Saving Romulus was a suicide mission and Spock volunteered. He gave Nero his word that he would succeed. Nero's erratic behavior was explained by him going mad.

All IIRC, so I may be a bit off on some of the details...
Old 05-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Canon Policy is very specific though
It doesn't include comics.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Canon Policy is very specific though
It doesn't include comics.
Canon policy?
Well, it was my understanding that IDW's countdown series was approved and presented by JJ and the writers.

The "old canon" and its policies no longer apply.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Ensign

A quick google revealed this:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/12/15...prequel-comic/

Good enough for me!