The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > what is the hardest part of your job?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Commander

Default what is the hardest part of your job?

mine is having to put down dogs. Im' and RVT and seeing people cry for there animal is not easy or puting down ones that are healthy and not wanted

Old 05-19-2009, 06:40 AM
Vice Admiral

Oh my.... so many choices.... last night, I had some woman asking me what was in all our ice cream flavors, until her friend finally said, "The ones with nuts have the word 'nuts' next to the name of the flavor." (There's a very large board with all the flavors listed, alphabetically, hanging above the counter.)
The other woman replied, and I quote, "Oh, I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT 'NUTS' MEANT."
Gah!
Old 05-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Lieutenant

I help the elderly or one day i want to probably have a decent job and watch star trek till my death lol
Old 05-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

Trekie, I do not envy you the harder parts of your job at all. I cried like a baby when I had to put one of my little furry friends to sleep. To go through it once is enough...but to have to go through it as often as you do.....I couldn't do that. Hat's off to you for your emotional fortitude in that...it cannot be easy.

For a lighter tale:
The hardest part of my job is saying "no" whenever I get asked to come in and fill in for somebody singing down on Bourbon St. I have a three day schedule, and that's usually plenty 'nuff for me. I sing on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoons. Usually, I'm good for one double shift, or if they need me on one of my days off, I'm good for that too. I love the company I work for. However, once I've sung the equivalent of five days, my voice starts feelin' it bad. But the thing is, I am a terrible liar. If I get asked to fill in for someone, and my voice sounds capable of doing the job for that day, I'll come in. I can't just leave them hanging. (Especially when it seems I am every other band's first choice for a fill in singer if their regular singer goes down.) But, I do have my limits, and when I know I've reached them, I'll say "thanks, but no, I can't. Not today." Usually now, it would be if I've frakked up my sleep schedule, and had just sacked out when the call comes in. "Whaaa? Oh, man, I just now hit the hay." Usually that'll back 'em off, and they'll try to find somebody else. But after that, should the call come back and they say: "Steve, we've tried to find someone else, but there's no one else available." then I'll go in.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I'm a maintainence guy for a television station. One day, I'll be working on some pretty high tech equipment and the next (thanks to the low budget, wearing multiple hats situation here) I'll be cleaning out sink drains or snaking out a toilet in the men's room. Ah! The "glamour" of working at a local PBS station! But, there's a trade off... I also have full run of the scene shop here... so I work on little projects after hours, at my own cost. (I'm very much a "tinkerer")

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Lieutenant

I feel bad for her having to see animals dying but its a job and it has to be done. And not all jobes are fun some might be emotional or dirty or even sometimes fun jobes but either way we get through it and have a sucessfull life
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

trekie,

I feel for ya, actually. I worked for my local animal shelter for about a year and a half. Euthanizing animals is one part of that job that just ripped me up emotionally. I had to leave after a while... I was worried that I might get used to it.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Vice Admiral

The hardest part of my job is....um.... well, going!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Trying to deal with the fact that I know more about the work we do in our office than most of the 'yes men' managers, not even one, but two grades above me who don't know anything about it at all and make the wrong decisions on how to get work done ALL the time!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
trekie,

I feel for ya, actually. I worked for my local animal shelter for about a year and a half. Euthanizing animals is one part of that job that just ripped me up emotionally. I had to leave after a while... I was worried that I might get used to it.
You don't get used to it. when you love animals