The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > "Trek headed to $400M globally"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Well, by the time that the worldwide international figures are tallied we will already be over halfway there. We're $196 million total as it is. Doesn't seem an impossible target.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-18-2009, 04:17 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpockette View Post
That would be great! Does anybody know what the cost totals were for the production budget?

yup, 150 million budget.

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Vice Admiral

well well well....the movie is a success....where are the haters???? did they leave???? no no no....u cant leave just yet.......here 's something for u to think while u re ....awake

$400 000 000$
Old 05-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

Here's to a fresh start for Trek again. Long may it shine!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Banned

Someone upthread compared Star Trek's foreign gross to that of Star Wars.

Star Trek shouldn't be compared to Star Wars. Instead, in terms of influence, Star Wars should be compared to Star Trek. To me, Trek is the gold standard. It is Trek that has had the most influence on real-life events far beyond popular culture and entertainment. I can name a Space Shuttle that bears the name of a Federation starship. I can point to current military personnel who have put on Starfleet uniforms and appeared on board a Federation vessel. I can name a real leading physicist who has appeared on a Trek production, jokingly referring to a warp core of a Federation starship as something he is working on.

It's terrific that Trek is making a lot of movie dough, but the end, the reason I have so much invested in Trek is that, while decidedly fictional, it has a deep connection with things that affect all of us --in real life.

Star Wars is great, but let's not sell ourselves short.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Someone upthread compared Star Trek's foreign gross to that of Star Wars.

Star Trek shouldn't be compared to Star Wars. Instead, in terms of influence, Star Wars should be compared to Star Trek. To me, Trek is the gold standard. It is Trek that has had the most influence on real-life events far beyond popular culture and entertainment. I can name a Space Shuttle that bears the name of a Federation starship. I can point to current military personnel who have put on Starfleet uniforms and appeared on board a Federation vessel. I can name a real leading physicist who has appeared on a Trek production, jokingly referring to a warp core of a Federation starship as something he is working on.

It's terrific that Trek is making a lot of movie dough, but the end, the reason I have so much invested in Trek is that, while decidedly fictional, it has a deep connection with things that affect all of us --in real life.

Star Wars is great, but let's not sell ourselves short.
I think that was me.

Oh, believe me, I wasn't trying to make any kind of qualitative comparisons.

I love both Star Trek and Star Wars. Comparing them on a qualitative level is apples and oranges.

I simply pointed out the fact that (until the new movie came along) the first 10 Trek films couldn't even touch 1/4 the box office of Star Wars. But, with the healthy income of the new Trek movie, it would seem that Trek as a movie franchise has finally crossed the 1/4 mark.

No qualitative comparisons. I think it was simply a matter of popularity. But, if new Trek movies continue with the quality that this new one did, then yes, the popularity is going to catch up.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Ensign

This is a huge success and all for the better. Congrats to everyone who made the movie happen. With the immense success and buzz it's generating this means that we Trekkies can have so much more to look forward to. Just several years ago people thought the ST saga was going to end with Enterprise. It's a good thing that has not come to be. I'm not sure what's next (movies, tv series, etc) but whatever does happen I am really looking forward to it.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Ensign

*Best Nero Impression*
I want a sequel NOW!!
Visit my gallery
Old 05-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Huzzah! Well done, JJ!

Now....only 3 billion more to go in the totality of the 11 Trek movies to go to match all six Star Wars films.
You might as well count them as nine since they had those re-releases in the mid-nineties.