The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshu View Post
It's one thing to refute or disagree with a review, it's another to say "I disagree therefore the reviewer has no heart, humor, and has bad interpersonal skills."

Several pages back my 4 part review said much of the same as this poster did. I don't say, "People who disagree with me don't think things through and are shallow." They see it differently. Not worse, just differently.

I realise that I came across as harsh, like you pointed out there have been several people who have had similar criticisms of the film and I just feel these criticisms miss something, I was trying to readdress the balance but it came out wrong as I was angry at the time. I did say I meant no offence though and I apologise for any offence caused.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Midshipman

Me liked: Film in general, Pine and ZQ were almost perfect as New Kirk & New Spock.
**SPOILER **
I've got a purist's view of the whole "this is a whole new timeline" setup, especially the part about KILLING NEARLY ALL THE VULCANS!! It's transparently obvious that JJA, while he respects the general characters of Classic Trek, does *not* like the remotest thought of keeping continuity with TOS, TNG, or --any-- TrekMythos!

Therefore, my name, AlternativeFan.
I'm a fan of this new, alternative universe Trek.
The first thing I'd fix is the timeline where 6,000,000,000 Vulcans buy it, but ((and this includes Completely Changing Kirk's Childhoo)) I'd generally keep the rest.

Explanation for the total Continuity Geeks:
I'd say it's likely that Spock Prime (Nimoy) knew pretty soon after he got stuck on the iceball, that this Universe is not his own, that it's one of those muliplex alternative universes where a lot of things are alike, but not completely the same ((see the TNG episode where Worf keeps sliding between them all to see what I mean...))
Therefore, there was no downside to meeting "himself" in this Alternative Universe:
at a subatomic level, he's different from Everything!

LLAP.
AlternativeFan NH
Old 05-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Ensign

sorry are you pro this new universe or against it? Do you want to change the timeline again so that the Vulcans are not killed?
Old 05-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Midshipman

Wow, i just saw the movie. There's something i cant help wonder about. I think Tuvok was 25 when he graduated from starfleet academy and was placed on the Excelsior on stardate 2293. The film was mostly on stardate 2258, i think. So Tuvok was never born in this new timeline? Voyager's screwed.

Last edited by Gowron3338 : 05-16-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowron3338 View Post
Wow, i just saw the movie. There's something i cant help wonder about. I think Tuvok was 25 when he graduated from starfleet academy and was placed on the Excelsior on stardate 2293. The film was mostly on stardate 2258, i think. So Tuvok was never born in this new timeline? Voyager's screwed.
Sorry, you have lost me here. Are you assuming that because of Vulcan being destroyed, NO more Vulcans can ever be born, not even to some of the 10,000 Vulcans that survived? How do you know that Tuvok's parents aren't among the survivors?
Old 05-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohna View Post
Sorry, you have lost me here. Are you assuming that because of Vulcan being destroyed, NO more Vulcans can ever be born, not even to some of the 10,000 Vulcans that survived? How do you know that Tuvok's parents aren't among the survivors?
From billions down to under 10,000. You can't rule out that Tuvok or his parents if he hasn't been born yet survived, but the odds are overwhelmingly not in his favor.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
From billions down to under 10,000. You can't rule out that Tuvok or his parents if he hasn't been born yet survived, but the odds are overwhelmingly not in his favor.
Yeah but when and if its written and produced the odds become 1:1. Which is pretty damned good.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'

Last edited by That Metal Beastie : 05-16-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

That's a good point. The odds are whatever the writers want the odds to be.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Vice Admiral

what did he say at the end buckle up

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 05-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Midshipman

Hello. There were a couple things I noticed upon seeing Trek a second time that I thought were interesting tips of the hat or easter eggs. (I know that this isn't where this thread headed but I saw these at the beginning so thought I would chime in) If someone else posted these already I apologize for duplication, if not then enjoy:
1. during the scene where Kirk is being reprimanded for cheating on the KM one of the admirals is Bennett (a tip of the hat th Harve Bennett the producer of some of the original cast filme), another Chandra (a tip of the hat to the charcter of Dr. Chandra, the designer of HAL from 2001 a Space Odyssey).
2.The name of the green hottie that Kirk is bedding was Gaila, which was the name of the Green Gargantua from the 1968 Toho Film War of the Gargantuas.

In the scene when young Kirk speeds past one of his friends in his step-father's stolen car and he says goodbye to a friend that is hitchhiking, what is that kid's name? I thought I heard "Bye Gene" but I could've misheard. If I did hear right that would be an intersting nugget to be sure.