The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Iowa 250 years ahead of Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Midshipman

I believe that countries like New Zealand have gay marrage, and Australia in july of this year will be recognizing gay and defacto couples in social security laws and property settlement on death or seperation.
As for gays on Star Trek it may be fun to have a crew member (alien or human) stating " Im the only gay on this star ship"
Seariously I would not be offended if there were gay characters in any future Star Treks.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Vice Admiral

The NY Assembly just passed the marriage rights bill - now it just needs to go to the senate, which should pass it as well. Hooray!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Vice Admiral

Bump!!!

Everyone take a look. This topic has been done before and belongs in the "off topic" area.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
If memory serves Trek adressed the issue allegorically in two or three episodes (e.g. TNG's "The Host"). I understand your disappointment that no homosexual or bisexual main character has been portrayed in Trek yet, but the the Federation is, unlike our present societies, entirely free of homophobia. So please don't pretend that Trek is not ahead of its time.
Only because Chekov is not seen in "Space Seed" he could still have been on the ship, only because homosexual people have not been portrayed yet they still exist in Trek's fictional future.
I could not have said it better myself. Please realize that, because we are talking about SEXUAL orientation, what we are going to see on the screen is a bit different from just showing people of different races, or just women (instead of all men), or even handicapped people. Gay people look like everyone else, except when they are openly expressing affection for their significant other. As has been said by others, the Spock/Uhura moment on the transporter was not a professional moment, and as such, it looked out of place (even by people unfamiliar with the difference between this Spock and Spock Prime). You cannot be having people making out on the bridge. Therefore, if it's going to be done, it would have to be done in a very throw-away sense, in the background, and not be focused upon. Think of it this way: Nichelle Nichols was the first black woman to portray a television character in a leadership position. But the script never referred to her by her race; she was just Uhura and stood on her own, like everyone else on the show.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:31 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

You know... I remember the morning of 9-11. There were one hell of a lot of "unprofessional moments" going on as we all watched the towers fall, and 3,000 people lose their lives. The fact that Uhura gave spock a moment of "shoring up" in the turbo lift seemed perfectly correct to me. After all, he just watched his family, his culture, his entire history implode... along with 6 billion plus innocent lives. (He had a hard enogh time when the Intrepid was eaten by a giant space aomeba...)

And yes, you make a good point... quite a few of the crew of the E could be gay. I guess Starfleet is STILL practicing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" eh? After all, although we've been treated to several scenes of crewmembers on "dates" and nuzzleing each other... the supposed GLBT characters seem to be staying closeted.

Hey, that's a great thing, huh? Suppose it were black people who were treated this way?

"What? Black folks on the Enterprise? Yeah, we got 'em... we just keep 'em below decks, out of sight."

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Vice Admiral

Or women. Imagine them all barefoot and nekkid and in the kitchen. Who needs repicators when you've got a bunch of kitchen wenchs?

But to be fair, I don't think gay characters got left out of this movie due to malice.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Bump!!!

Everyone take a look. This topic has been done before and belongs in the "off topic" area.
Mr.Q,

This IS the "off topic area"... What are you going on about?

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Vice Admiral

There's a thread like this in the movie area - I think he was getting other people's attention.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Vice Admiral

"In the fifth season [of Star Trek: The Next Generation] viewers will see more of shipboard life [including] gay crew members in day-to-day circumstances."

Gene Roddenberry, to The Advocate, 1991

"My attitude toward homosexuality has changed. I came to the conclusion that I was wrong. I was never someone who hunted down "***s" as we used to call them on the street. I would, sometimes, say something anti-homosexual off the top of my head because it was thought, in those days, to be funny. I never really deeply believed those comments, but I gave the impression of being thoughtless in these areas. I have, over many years, changed my attitude about gay men and women."

Gene Roddenberry, to The Humanist, 1991 (full interview)

"I'm sorry I never had a homosexual relationship, because I know there must be many joys and pleasures and degrees of closeness in those relationships."

Gene Roddenberry, in Gene Roddenberry; The Last Conversation (by Yvonne Fern, 1994)

Old 05-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Mr.Q,

This IS the "off topic area"... What are you going on about?
I KNOW, I know. There was another thread started in the Star Trek XI movie section about gays and lesbians being left out of Trek. I posted to that thread then "bumped" this thread so everyone could see it!!