The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > What's your personal "Trek Canon"?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post What's your personal "Trek Canon"?

For me:
Tho only Canon sources which I refuse to include are:

STV for ridiculous premise. There is no way they went to the center of the galaxy. Like in the Rocket Boot scene in the Turbolift shaft. The comedy was nice, but the rest was bad.

Some episodes of TOS. Spock's Brain, for example. Some TOS episodes can be called fish stories. Some TOS episodes could stand to be reduced to legends from canon. (I'm sure I'll take alot of flak for that.)

Nemesis is not canon. Data can't die. And what happened to his emotion chip? And what about Wesley being at the wedding? And why is Picard being so cool in front of people? Where's Spock while all of this is going down on Romulus? Why is Shinzon bald? Why is Picard in the academy suddenly bald? Why is picard in an NCO uniform in the academy picture? I have too many questions for this one.

The last episode of VOY. C'mon! If Janeway has to go back in time to help herself get home, she's not a very good captain then, is she? How many times does the Borg Queen need to die? Are there a bunch of them? Why does Voyager even need to get home? Couldn't Q have helped them? Neelix should have come with. Stoopid Borg. Stoopid Janeway. Stoopid Voyager. It's the only really bad episode...

ENT was bad. I love Bakula, but I hate ENT. I'm not going to call all the canon glitches, because those would be too numerous. Why a hot girl Vulcan? Why are Vulcans suddenly jerks? What happened to the Earth/Romulus war? The first Enterprise was not a nacelle-and-saucer-type-ship, it was a ring drive ship. Why explore what the Vulcans already know about? What's with the mind-melding being a bad thing? Why do the Borg have to ruin everything? Why does first contact with the Klingons go from being a disaster (TOS) to being good (Broken Bow)? I enjoyed the show, but Enterprise was just bad from a continuity standpoint.

So what's YOUR canon?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Captain

It's all canon, the good (like TWOK), the bad (STV) and the ugly ("Spock's Brain").

It may not all agree at times, but a little intelligence and thought can make it all flow.

I see kenji's another one who uses the old "I'm not going to call all the canon glitches, because those would be too numerous" line...how about you leave out the ones that get brought up by every ENT basher and tell us a few that haven't been debunked a few hundred times...?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

As long as the writers are consistent with previous material, i'm cool.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Commander

You can't just decide to accept as canon what you like, or not accept what you don't like. Otherwise, there is no true canon.

Or, you can accept that it's all just a fictional tv show and not get in a tizzy about it.

So I'm with you starbase...
Old 02-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think it's all canon -- just some canon is observed more closely than others.

My view is this: if canon was a fluid concept for Mr. Roddenberry himself, then there is no one answer... and I think that's actually part of what keeps it alive. If he truly canonized the TREK universe into harshly defined laws and definitions on every subject, we'd never be talking about it 40 years after the fact. TREK remains alive because, to borrow from astrophysics, it's an open universe: open to interpretation, to misunderstanding, to disagreement, and even open to inconsistencies.

The fact that TREK is vulnerable to subjectivity also makes it ripe for inspiration, which for me is the entire reason of its being. We learn more by its incompleteness and errors than we would a perfectly codified but utterly dead dramatic realm.

That's why the opening legend doesn't read "To complacently go..."

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Commander

If the story is good and basically true to the characters, I don't particularly care about "canon."
Old 02-28-2008, 04:14 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Do you guys consider the animated series as canon, because I don't.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:44 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I think it's all canon -- just some canon is observed more closely than others.

My view is this: if canon was a fluid concept for Mr. Roddenberry himself, then there is no one answer... and I think that's actually part of what keeps it alive. If he truly canonized the TREK universe into harshly defined laws and definitions on every subject, we'd never be talking about it 40 years after the fact. TREK remains alive because, to borrow from astrophysics, it's an open universe: open to interpretation, to misunderstanding, to disagreement, and even open to inconsistencies.

The fact that TREK is vulnerable to subjectivity also makes it ripe for inspiration, which for me is the entire reason of its being. We learn more by its incompleteness and errors than we would a perfectly codified but utterly dead dramatic realm.

That's why the opening legend doesn't read "To complacently go..."
Agreed. While I may cringe at certain aspects of Trek V or Nemesis,...it is what it is. AND I consider TAS canon for the same reasons....
Old 02-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
If the story is good and basically true to the characters, I don't particularly care about "canon."
QFT.