The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Anyone a computer wiz?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Ensign

Sounds like it could be faulty temp sensors on the motherboard. If I am understanding your description correclty, sometimes the fans come on at 50*, sometimes 90*??

Check the BIOS and see how the fans are being managed. Under power settings, you should be able to set the fans up for quiet, performance, or efficiency

I'm a Dell Certified tech, but I can't picture the 1730 BIOS off the top of my head
Old 05-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Lieutenant

Its a Dell, what do you expect? They dont even give you recovery discs anymore, THEY GIvE YOU FRIGGIN PAPERDISCS BASICALLY TELLING YOU TO GO SCREW YOURSELF!!! I would just exchange it, and if you CANT exchange it, blow it up!

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS95B View Post
Sounds like it could be faulty temp sensors on the motherboard. If I am understanding your description correclty, sometimes the fans come on at 50*, sometimes 90*??

Check the BIOS and see how the fans are being managed. Under power settings, you should be able to set the fans up for quiet, performance, or efficiency

I'm a Dell Certified tech, but I can't picture the 1730 BIOS off the top of my head
Not quite. I haven't seen the fans turn on at 90*.

Here's kind of a step by step description of what was happening. Get up in the morning, grab a bite to eat, turn on the computer. Computer boots up and windows starts up. Start up a program like World of Warcraft or even something older like Warcraft 3 or Command and Conquer Generals. After about 2 minutes into game play, the fans start blowing and they're blowing full blast. The instant they start blowing, CPU usage shoots up to 100%, frame rate drops to ground, and the computer is just running really choppy not just animations but also mouse curser skips across the screen when I move my mouse, just like when my old Inspiron 600m overheats. When I check the temp it reads about 50-60*C. When I feel the back of the laptop with my hand, it's warm but not terribly warm. The fans keep blowing full blast until I either restart or shut down the computer. After the reboot, I try to run the program again and same results.

However, if I do the same thing where I get up and start up the computer and instead of trying to do anything, just let it sit idle no running programs for say an hour or more and let the computer just heat up on its own to say 60-80& sometimes 90*, the fans do not turn on at all or if they do they're at low speeds for a few moments. When I try running any of those programs I mentioned, the fans don't turn on at all during the gameplay and the programs run smoothly.

So basically with my old Inspiron, I had to turn a 14 inch square desk fan on it's back and sit the Inspiron on it to keep it cool enough to run. With this XPS 1730, in order to get it to run games, I need to try to heat it up gradually without the fans engaging like a bat out of hell.

In anycase, I'm shipping it back tomorrow and continue shopping. The machine I got might just be a lemon, but to be safe I'm just sending it back for a refund. Spent like 5 hours over the course of 2 days on the phone with tech support with no sign of figuring out the source of the problem much less a solution. So I basically decided this machine was a bit more trouble than it was worth.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 05-13-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Vice Admiral

Anytime you play a graphics intensive game on a laptop expect the fans to kick up pretty high. Framerate drops also sometimes tend to suggest an overheating video card. I used to play some FPS games on my laptop but it just got too hot even with external fans, so for those its PC only. In any case, it does sound like you are experiencing things more significant than that and I would take the machine back also.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Ensign

True. Laptops aren't built fo gaming. Even the so-called "Gaming Laptops" aren't. There's just not enough room in there for proper airflow.

If you truely want to play games, you need a desktop. The gaming laptops will handle some basic games, but anything 3D intensive needs full sized hardware

And to tannerwaterbury, Dell and Toshiba are the only systems left that do send you restore disks. Just about all other models, except some minis/netbooks, come with a restore partition from which you can make your own disks.