The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Canon war (Spoilers)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
No.
They.
Haven't.

The original time line does not (repeat: NOT) cease to exist. Read the interviews with Orci and Kurtzman.

For cryin' out loud....
Those two? Oh yeal, because they say so its true. I add one more qualifier. Paramount needs to make a series or a Movie in the Normal universe (Like Enterprise did for the Mirror Episode) then it will still exist.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I add one more qualifier. Paramount needs to make a series or a Movie in the Normal universe (Like Enterprise did for the Mirror Episode) then it will still exist.
I feel the same way.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Commander

Default Ways in which Trek Cannon was violated in New Movie

Well, not really. The writers offered themselves a way out, by saying that all the events in the film are taking place in an Alternate Universe, or altered universe, there by cutting any pretense of having to adhere to Trek cannon and giving themselves free reign in do whatever they like with the characters and history in future Trek films.

But had they not done this, how was Trek cannon altered?

Even the casual Star Trek fan can name a few. Can You?

1. Destruction of Vulcan-never took place prior to the Original series. There is a famous episode in the O.S. called "Amok Time" which takes place on Vulcan. Not to mention the numerous TNG episodes that take place on Vulcan, like Picard's famous visit that results in his meld with Spock's father, Sarek in the TNG two parter-Unification.

2. Spock/Uhura relationship-sure there was mild flirtation in the O.S., but nothing like the ear-grabbing scene with Uhura demanding, "Tell me what you NE-EE-D!"

3. The inclusion of Chevok on Enterprise's first mission with Kirk as Captain-Chevok doesn't appear until the second season of the O.S., if this is to be part of Trek cannon, they need to explain why he went missing during the first of Kirk's five-year mission.

4. Inclusion of McCoy/Sulu-these character was absent from both pilots for the O.S.. Ok, maybe Sulu was sick, or not on duty during those few adventures, but Enterprise had a different doctor than McCoy during those few first episodes, so his absence can't so easily be explained.

5. Captain Pike never recruited Kirk-I recently re-watched the O.S. two-parter "The Menagerie" where Kirk first meets Pike, as an invalid. It is apparent from the scene where Kirk leaps upon viewing a younger Pike on the viewer screen and then questions him "Was that really you?", that he didn't know Pike prior to that.

Those are the few that stand out to me. If you have others feel free to add them to this thread. I 'd be interested in hearing them.