The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Hey look it's Shinzon's twin brother Nero *Spoilers*
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianrosey View Post
Nero didn't construct a ship, it was a standard Romulan mining ship from the future and not very impressive by future standards; Nero just happened to be it's captain.

Other similarities are of minor note, with the exception that Nero seemed more believable and convincing than that useless Shinzon character who had his whole life to perfect being a one-dimensional plot device, as opposed to Nero who went mad with grief and bitterness after watching his whole world get wiped out. I'm glad they didn't waste too much time fleshing out Nero's character; they gave us enough information to know who he was and why he was doing what he did and left the rest of the movie for the main characters of Star Trek, which is why we went in the first place. Eric Bana made Nero very compelling with his performance considering the screentime and background story he had; the actor made the role convincing without weighing down the movie. In that respect I have absolutely no problem with how his character was handled and I simply don't equate Nero with the forgettable Shinzon.

Well said, I agree.

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I'm thinking of starting a petition to get Countdown made into live action. Although I am convinced they will do that eventually anyway. Too much great material to simply remain a comic book mini-series.

-Captain Jonathan Archer
Old 05-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Midshipman

Shinzon killed Data, Nero killed Star Trek...
Old 05-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlarJotunn View Post
Shinzon killed Data, Nero killed Star Trek...
Not from where the box office, reviews, and most of the fanbase is standing.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Lieutenant

Nero will go down as one of, if not thee most forgettalbe villains in Star Trek.
I think we need to get away from the notion that the villain has to have some deep resenment, grudge, hatred directed at one of the main characters. Sure it worked with Khan, but look at what happened with Shinzon as well. Krug, Chang, etc served their roles as convincing villains, even though they had no prior exprience with the Enterprise crew. Who were we talking about again?

Old 05-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
Nero will go down as one of, if not thee most forgettalbe villains in Star Trek.
I think we need to get away from the notion that the villain has to have some deep resenment, grudge, hatred directed at one of the main characters. Sure it worked with Khan, but look at what happened with Shinzon as well. Krug, Chang, etc served their roles as convincing villains, even though they had no prior exprience with the Enterprise crew. Who were we talking about again?
agreed

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Lieutenant

I don't think Nero needed to be a memorable villain. He was the guy who's successful quest for revenge set the place for a movie about the Enterprise crew.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Yeah they are both Romulan bad guys with little character development and big ships - no argument.

That said, at least in the pics Nero looks dangerous - Shinzon looks like a huffy schoolboy about to ask you if you'd like a cup of tea.
Ding, ding, ding!!!! We have a winner!!!! My thoughts exactly Kevin. I remember when that film came out I so badly wanted to like it since it was Star Trek but I kept thinking this villian Shinzon just looks like a skinny High School Senior in a school play. He was about as threatening as one of the Saved By The Bell characters!

While I wish the new film had given us a better look at the backstory for Nero that the Countdown graphic novel does he was way better than pool lil ole Shinzonny.