The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Post links to movie critic reviews (SPOILER FREE or properly labeled as SPOILERS)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Agreed, good buzz helps, believe that...

Old 05-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

A co-worker is going tonite and he wasn't that interested until word of mouth. I am in LA tonight and I am going to see if I can get a group to go this evening as well.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Ensign

Rotten Tomatoes, the site where they poll hundreds of critics, gave the movie a rating in the high 90's. That's pretty good.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Ensign

Default Ex-astris-scientia.org Review Of New Movie - WARNING SPOILERS INSIDE !

Thought I would share this link with everyone. Ex-astris-scientia.org has been around since about 1998 I think and here is their review of the new movie for your reading pleasure.

It has some interesting points to say the least !

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/episodes/trekxi.htm
Old 05-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Commander

quite well written... if lengthy lots of truth to it. Star Trek does not simply boil down to a bunch of people on a ship named the Enterprise.

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
quite well written... if lengthy lots of truth to it. Star Trek does not simply boil down to a bunch of people on a ship named the Enterprise.
I thought it was quite well written also...here is a quote from the articile that stuck with me!

"People repeatedly ask why I am so much opposed to the idea of the new movie taking place in a new parallel timeline, a concept that has been repeatedly used in Star Trek before. There is, however, a huge difference between the parallel timeline that Abrams has created for "Star Trek XI" and the ones we have gotten used to. Because it is a narrative switch now. In other words, it is not a temporary visit of a fairground such as DS9's Mirror Universe. Abrams' version is the only Star Trek from now, perhaps safe for ongoing novel series that may carry on in the old continuity. TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager may still exist somewhere out there, but it is just a hypothetical possibility that some day the official Star Trek of Paramount/CBS will revisit the old universe. It is nothing more than wishful thinking of some fans that the old Trek continuity may still exist in some fashion. When the redesigned Enterprise warps away into the new universe at the end of "Star Trek XI", it is a point of no return in canon Trek."
Old 05-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Ensign

Bernd Schneider got a lot of negative comments recently about his negative ideas of the movie's concept without even seeing it. There were people complaining about that on these forums as well. He was still able, however, to watch the fim with a healthy amount of objectivity and he wrote a fair and balanced review. I hope the people who wrote bad things about him will notice that and be fair as well.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

WoW

That was incredibly detailed.
I agree with 96 percent of the summary. His report was very precise and factual.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot View Post
Bernd Schneider got a lot of negative comments recently about his negative ideas of the movie's concept without even seeing it. There were people complaining about that on these forums as well. He was still able, however, to watch the fim with a healthy amount of objectivity and he wrote a fair and balanced review. I hope the people who wrote bad things about him will notice that and be fair as well.
More that that, Coot.
He was right about everything. So was Saint.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Federation Councillor

A very fair and thorough review indeed.

Quick question? Regarding the implausible coming together of the crew, I thought it was long since held as fan-rumour that it was Spock who had designed the Kobayashi Maru simulation Kirk cheated on?

In which case, that way of introducing the two would not be improbable, but a nod to one of the long-standing unoffical rumours?

courtesy of Saquist