The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > ***Spoiler*** Best "Trek" film, but the S.T. universe is definitely on its ear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Indeed....but unlike TOS, VOY and ENT had continuity.

The whole continuity thing really didn't start up until the movies....and then TNG kinda ran with it a little bit with the occasional story arc....but DS9, VOY, and ENT had entire season spanning epics.
And after fans grow obsessed with continuity, two smart writers came up with a nice idea to tell new stories with new actors playing familiar characters and circumvent trouble with the fans (although some are still upset).

While we are at nitpicking, I was a bit disappointed with Sarek. Of course no one could fill Mark Lenard's shoes and the story demanded that this Sarek is not at odds with his son as Spock has trouble with himself, but he just felt not as as impressive as the old Sarek or Greenwood's Pike.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
And after fans grow obsessed with continuity, two smart writers came up with a nice idea to tell new stories with new actors playing familiar characters and circumvent trouble with the fans (although some are still upset).

While we are at nitpicking, I was a bit disappointed with Sarek. Of course no one could fill Mark Lenard's shoes and the story demanded that this Sarek is not at odds with his son as Spock has trouble with himself, but he just felt not as as impressive as the old Sarek or Greenwood's Pike.
Lets there will be greater character development them in the next movie.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Lieutenant

Yes, but over the course of the next couple of movies...they now have...heh...a "choice of paths..."

If there is some sort of pre-destiny to the universe...ala, Kirk is always meant to command the Enterprise, Spock become his first officer, ect. Then the next couple of movies (or potential TV series) could show the universe ever so slowly returning to the "pre-destined" endpoint of TNG, (even if it only rights itself later in that show).

Or they could throw it all out the window and go away from it, even blowing up the Enterprise and putting the crew on the Intrepid or a new Enterprise with a registry of NCC-2012 or something like that. Or even splitting the crew up or going Red Dwarf and killing everyone.

The market will determing the end results...
Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Captain

I believe at the heart of this new movie IS destiny...that Kirk is captain, Spock 1st officer, etc. etc.....

The best example of this? Pike in the wheelchair at the end. I LOVED that....

I think we'll see all of our friends as we know them....just with a few twisits here and there.

I am VERY excited to see the new direction that Trek is headed!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Vice Admiral

I want to see more Scotty and Spock/Uhura in the next movie!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Midshipman

Default The movie played even better the second time I saw it....

Was able to enjoy the breadth / scope of the movie......
Old 05-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
What I don't get is this: why are people cheering and "thumbs-up"ing that Trek has been so drastically altered? If -- if -- that had to be done, why's that something to cheer about?
Because if things didn't change, we wouldn't have flushing toilets, MRI machines, hybrid cars, or even a knowledge that the world is spherical instead of flat.

To live in a static world is not to live, it is to merely exist. Kind of like being a Borg instead of a human. Change isn't supposed to be bad - it can be scary, yes, and people do tend to react violently to things they fear. But in reality, change is just what pushes us into the future.