The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Ensign

Hi I’m new to the boards, I’ve been reading these threads for a couple of days now, and after watching the new Star Trek film I just felt the compulsion to discuss it with fellow fans. Much has already been said, which I won’t repeat but I will add my two pennies worth:

Firstly I loved the film, I haven’t laughed as much at a Star Trek film as this one, I felt the humour was brilliantly timed and offset by the drama and action. This was a perfectly balanced film, juxtaposing light and dark and had something for everyone, a little romance, a lot of action, great dialogue and script and the acting was very meritorious.

I thought all the actors played their parts well, I never once thought who are these wannabes? These young pretenders? They were convincing and believable and really embodied the spirit and personalities of their characters. I loved the way Kirk gets beaten up about 10 times in this film; Pine brought that flare, charm and charisma to the character that Shatner did so well to cultivate in the first place. Though I don’t think his was the best performance it was certainly very strong and I didn’t have a problem accepting him as Kirk. Personally I thought Karl Urban’s Dr ‘Bones’ McCoy was the best performance of the entire film and though Bones has always been one of my favourite characters I love him even more now; I’m glad many others feel the same way I do. I personally loved Yelchin’s accent as Chekov, I know some people found it too irritating at times but I thought it was perfect. Chekov, like Scottie, brought a lot of the humour to the film but that is no bad thing (as it was done so well). One of the funniest lines in the entire film for me was: “Chekov you have the comm.” It was almost a running joke, which I appreciated. The best thing, though about this new cast is that they have made the characters their own and I very much look forward to them reprising their roles for future sequels, the film made me want to journey with this young crew on their voyage of discovery and exploration, to see how they grow and develop; I didn’t just feel ‘well I now know how Kirk came to be captain, I’m happy.’ I left the cinema wanting to see more and felt very excited by the prospects of a sequel: the future is once more the undiscovered country!

The action was immense and exhilarating; the opening scene with the USS Kelvin was tragic, moving and visually spectacular! I really like the change of back story with Kirk, growing up in the shadow of his father’s sacrifice; I absolutely loved the part where Captain Pike says: “I dare you to do better.” I thought the special effects were second to none, they really have set a new precedent and brought the Star Trek universe to life they way I imagine Gene Roddenberry envisaged it, it did it complete justice, and I hope any potential sequel gets the same budget. The scenes of the Enterprise were spectacular and amazing, in my opinion definitely an improvement on the original design. The scene where McCoy and Kirk are flying up to the space dock to embark on the rescue mission and see the Enterprise for the first time was one of the most iconic moments of the film, as was when Kirk drives up to the then under construction Enterprise on his motorbike.

Even better than the exterior was the interior; I thought the bridge looked much better than the original series, which looked quite dull in many respects. The new bridge looked spacious and futuristic; I liked the viewing screen as well as the control panels and captains chair. It surprised me at first that engineering looked so industrial but I can live with it. I think all in all they did a great job recreating the feel of the original whilst modernising it.

Some people have pointed out that Nero as a character seemed under-developed and that not enough screen time was given to him, however I respectfully disagree. I think it was both deliberate and wise. As a prequel, revisiting the original crew of the Enterprise the film was always going to be about them first, any villain should always have been secondary. Yes Nero is a more modest villain in terms of his screen time but I think he served his purpose well, his ship was terrifying and menacing compared to the Federation ships and because of the technological and size advantage he had, coming from the future, I really got a sense of the threat and peril humanity faced, after all he had just destroyed Vulcan. I can honestly say I have not had that sensation in any other Star Trek film, although when I first saw First Contact when I was 10 the Borg scared the hell out of me LOL. But I never once thought humanity’s done for. Nero is very different from both Shinzon and Khan who I’ve seen him unfairly compared to: Shinzon was a human clone of Picard who was sent to the Dilithium mines on Remus to die, he was not a Romulan, and he hated Romulans as much as he did the Federation. Khan wanted revenge against Kirk for marooning him on Ceti Alpha V, there was a history between the characters which Nero could not possibly of had, although if the writers wanted to they could have made more of the fact that Nero’s ship had destroyed the Kelvin and killed Kirk’s father. But Nero served his purpose for the sake of the plot and did not steal the thunder away from Kirk and Co who ultimately this film is all about. If a sequel is made then they can develop the villain more but in this film, which for all intents and purposes was a reboot of the Franchise, it was all about the crew of the Enterprise.

Yes there were a few things I was unsure about but as I realised this is now an alternative or parallel universe, I can learn to accept them. For instance the romance between Spock and Uhura; that was unexpected! I felt jealous for Kirk, although the transporter room scene was very funny. I was also convinced until the very last scene just before the credits they were going to reverse the events that led to Vulcan’s destruction and save Spock’s mother. But although I found this quite shocking when the credits began to role, I quickly adjusted to this new reality and actually think it was the right thing to do. Never before have I been moved (positively or negatively) the way I have with this film; yes the destruction of Vulcan is both shocking and outrageous, but I think that is the point: these are natural emotions which we would experience if a catastrophe of that magnitude happened in real life. That is what’s so brilliant about the plot, it was what was necessary for us to believe that Spock was in emotional turmoil internally, which Kirk was able to bring out of him. Although the canon has been changed somewhat with a new timeline being created by these events in this alternative universe, I think it was the right choice: ultimately it will allow for more freedom and scope for the storylines of any potential sequels. Considering this was meant to reboot the Franchise I believe it will and has done so very successfully.

I would love to see more films’ being made with this young crew, the future has yet to be told, however I do have some reservations. Firstly I wouldn’t want another TV series, as someone else mentioned earlier it would decrease the budget if they had a film and TV series both in production and the special effects and vision of this film were too big, a sequel with a smaller budget not being able to get the same treatment as Star Trek XI would be a travesty. Secondly I don’t want to see Shatner in any future sequels. Not because I don’t like Shatner, but because the reason he was not in this film was because in the canon he is dead: he died preventing Soran from destroying the Amigosa star, after Picard brought him back from the Nexus in Generations. I don’t know how many years that is meant to be before the events of Star Trek XI but it has to be a couple of decades at least. How would you resurrect Kirk to give him a place in a sequel? It shouldn’t happen, the writers and director should stick to their convictions like they did with this film and do what they want, making the film they want to make, instead of being bullied or coerced into including Shatner by either the fans or Shatner himself. No offence to Shatner intended at all, but this is a new cast and personally I want them to be these characters for the foreseeable future.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Federation Councillor

We're probably not going to see more of that timeline though. I'd say it still depended on how much of a functional system they had left.

Did the movie say how many Romulans were killed (I can't recall now) when it was lost? If they have as few remaining survivors as the Vulcans, it certainly becomes more possible in the 24th Century timeline. But then that wouldn't really be joining the Federation as much as being saved from extinction by their help.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

So you don't think Villians are very important to stories...
Fascinating.

Welcome to the forum StarTrekXIFan, glad to have you aboard.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Ensign

I'm pretty sure they "dumbed down" the stardates so that the general audience could understand it and know when it's supposed to take place. They wanted something more "future" sounding than just the standard Earth Julian date system still used on Enterprise (earth month, date, year), but not just some number that seemingly related to nothing from TOS forward.

However I would think it improbable that an inter-galactic Federation of planets would be using any sort of date system that relates to Earth's system of number of years after Christ. The TNG-forward system of around 1000 units per earth revolution seems more plausible for that type of society.
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
We're probably not going to see more of that timeline though. I'd say it still depended on how much of a functional system they had left.

Did the movie say how many Romulans were killed (I can't recall now) when it was lost? If they have as few remaining survivors as the Vulcans, it certainly becomes more possible in the 24th Century timeline. But then that wouldn't really be joining the Federation as much as being saved from extinction by their help.
Of course the differance is that most of the Vulcans lived on Vulcan. The Romulans have a large empire to mantain and probably have many other planets with high populations.
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
So you don't think Villians are very important to stories...
Fascinating.

Welcome to the forum StarTrekXIFan, glad to have you aboard.
Sorry, was that to me?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Romulus has many worlds and territory...Romulans would be needing a quick replacing governement.

Expect the dead universe to continue in book form...with no officiality of course unless they change there mind again.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Sorry, was that to me?

Negative.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC_1701A View Post
Of course the differance is that most of the Vulcans lived on Vulcan. The Romulans have a large empire to mantain and probably have many other planets with high populations.
I think the Romulan homeworld would have a similar place for most people. The military might be spread far and wide, but the main civilian population I think would be similar to Vulcan.

So it's loss leaves a primarily Military remnant, with no civilians to serve or protect.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Negative.
ok..

courtesy of Saquist