The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I don't care what you say, I liked the romance(SPOILERS)!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The elevator scene was one of the best things in the movie. Amazing. It reminded me a lot of the scene between Viggo Mortensen and Liv Tyler in Lord of the Rings. Tender, fearful, packed full of so much. Quinto's Spock will become a very different person. The destruction of his home is going to have tremendous repercussions. He truely can't go home again. I would have loved to have had more scenes of Vulcan (instead of so much about Iowa, but that's a small quibble). Quinto's Spock is definately as interesting as Nimoy's. And, my God, wasn't he gorgeous! I almost lost my breath when he first appeared . Wow.

The theater I was in has as many women in the audience as men. Maybe the men go to watch Kirk but, in my opinion, the women go for Spock. And Quinto fills that perfectly.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I really liked the connection. It was helped by the fact that Saldana and Quinto had real chemistry together. They very much helped sell this idea that there is history there between the two.

Which, of course, the kissing made clear!!
Agreed. They were beautiful together.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:35 AM
Commander

I think the romance worked very well, in addition to being a complete surprise. It was low-key, as you'd expect given that Spock's got even bigger issues on his mind then. It showed Uhura being driven by compassion and sympathy, which was nice, and tied in well with her occasional flirting with Spock in the original series. It was also set up, albeit subtly, during earlier scenes in the film - Uhura's assignment to the Farragut, for instance. Spock avoiding the appearance of favouritism, or sub-consciously avoiding some feelings he'd rather deny?

I like the new version of Uhura a lot, too. More forthright and assertive, but retaining her typical passiveness when the situation calls for it. Kind of like a mix of the best elements of 'young Uhura' from the TV show, and 'mature Uhura' from the movies. She was a ludicrously under-developed character originally, so it's nice to have her getting some serious respect and significance.

Besides, Spock has been - and always shall be - hot as hell. Women have been dribbling over him for four decades now. Who's to blame Uhura for going down that same path?

Old 05-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

im glad people agree with me!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
She wasn't overly snarky...remember there was more to that dynamic than Spock and Uhura....there was the Uhura and Kirk dynamic at work there.
I thought that the Kirk/Uhura/Spock dynamic was very deftly done and hit just the right balance of comedy and feeling.

Overall I was really impressed with how they increased Uhura's role and importance and how well Saldana performed doing so. Uhura emerged one of my favourite parts of the film.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Midshipman

Default Spock and Uhura-did that surprise anyone?

Spock and Uhura that was a surprise was it in the original novels or tv shows? or was it a new twist and will it go furthur in the next star trek movie?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Commander

There was a some flirting - I don't remember the episode references, but it was definitely there. Like one scene where Spock's playing his lyre in the crew lounge and Uhura's dancing to it. She sidles up to him, and he seems to smile back.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I loved Kirk's reaction in the transporter room. Priceless. In the sequel he'll probably discuss with Spock "discipline in the ranks" or suggest they get a room.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Besides, Spock has been - and always shall be - hot as hell. Women have been dribbling over him for four decades now.
Nice one!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Ensign

I really love the romance. I found to be a very tender moment in the midst of unthinkable destuction and despair. I also thought that Zoe Saldana acted the role perfectly. I can't wait to see what they do with the new Uhura!