The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I don't care what you say, I liked the romance(SPOILERS)!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Fleet Admiral

What I appreciated most about the hook up was that it was tied into the backstory of Sarek falling in love with Amanda. The writers tied it into established family history, they tied it into Spock's conflicts with his "half-breed" nature, and then they also tied it into the future of the Vulcan race.

There are lot less Vulcans for Spock to "date" now. Spock says Earth is now the only home he has left, and he loves a human woman. There's a lot behind those simple lip-smacks!

I know what you mean about the circumstances of the beam-away scene, Eliza. I took it as that by this point in the story, Spock is becoming comfortable expressing his human side, his emotions, instead of repressing or fighting against them (and hiding their intimacy in turbolift trips). It wasn't like he kissed her on the floor of Starfleet HQ of course, but it would have been a public display of affection to him. It was another useful, dramatic way to show internal growth in his character.... very expressive in Vulcan terms.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!

Last edited by MissionTrek08 : 05-18-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
What I appreciated most about the hook up was that it was tied into the backstory of Sarek falling in love with Amanda. The writers tied it into established family history, they tied it into Spock's conflicts with his "half-breed" nature, and then they also tied it into the future of the Vulcan race.

There are lot less Vulcan's for Spock to "date" now. Spock says Earth is now the only home he has left, and he loves a human woman. There's a lot behind those simple lip-smacks!

I know what you mean about the circumstances of the beam-away scene, Eliza. I took it as that by this point in the story, Spock is becoming comfortable expressing his human side, his emotions, instead of repressing or fighting against them (and hiding their intimacy in turbolift trips). It wasn't like he kissed her on the floor of Starfleet HQ of course, but it would have been a public display of affection to him. It was another useful, dramatic way to show internal growth in his character.... very expressive in Vulcan terms.
I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

I really liked the connection. It was helped by the fact that Saldana and Quinto had real chemistry together. They very much helped sell this idea that there is history there between the two.

Which, of course, the kissing made clear!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I did think the farewell smooch in the transporter pad seemed a bit "public" for Spock, but he might well have been saying goodbye forever, so I guess it's okay.... I think there's evidence in the show that Spock and Uhura had more than a professional relationship and I applaud the writers for recognizing that and taking off with it.
Ditto.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

i think that scene on the transporter pad with the final kiss was just right. I mean this is after all the emotional crap, and sarek talks to spock and its like hes getting in touch with emotions at the right time.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armalarm View Post
i think that scene on the transporter pad with the final kiss was just right. I mean this is after all the emotional crap, and sarek talks to spock and its like hes getting in touch with emotions at the right time.
EXACTLY!

Sarek did say to Spock:

"You asked me once, why did I marry your mother? I married her because I loved her."

That is something you will likely NOT hear one Vulcan admitting to a human, except to the object of his affection.

Last edited by martok2112 : 05-09-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
Some people say this film doesn't get the spirit of Trek. I say poppycock and last nights viewing supports it.

To the left of me sat a man given to excess in wine. To my right, a man who I heard say, "Oh, no. Another one of them," in reference to my Carrabean-American decendancy. When it was revealed that Spock and Uhuru (spelling) had a romance, a majority of the audicence clapped. The fellow to my left and right did not.

Trek hopes that by the 23rd century these viewpoints will be a thing of the past. That a Vulcan and an Earthling being in love matters not, and that everyone has a voice and something valuable to contribute to a cause.

J.J. Abrams and crew "gets it." Good job!
I wanna see it with your audience!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Ensign

I think I would have liked it more if Uhura didn't seem so weak and prissy. She was slightly more tough in TOS...for example, like I said in another thread, her thing with Spock in the elevator. Like making Vulcan love in the turbolift would help forget the loss of his people, eh? Seemed to be all she was good for, besides standing by with a helpless look when Kirk got beat up.

And the whole snarky retort when Kirk became acting captain was way too teenager-like. When you have a new captain you suck it up and take it.

Haha in all honesty, when she said "..captain" I was like, You goin' be working for that man along time, beeyotch! Get used to it!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Admiral

I thought she was *****y, domineering and controlling...just about everything I expected Uhura to be. How can you reconcile her reversal of Spock assigning her to the Faragut as "weak" and "prissy"?

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I thought she was *****y, domineering and controlling...just about everything I expected Uhura to be. How can you reconcile her reversal of Spock assigning her to the Faragut as "weak" and "prissy"?
Ok, let me rephrase. In some cases she was just like the Uhura I thought she would be! In that case I thought she would be just like that! But to stand by and be snarky because her "lover" got removed from the captain's chair...I thought she was a little better than that.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Admiral

She wasn't overly snarky...remember there was more to that dynamic than Spock and Uhura....there was the Uhura and Kirk dynamic at work there.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!