The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Wait, are we lettering - I went for numbers!!!

Ok - 8/10 or B-, whichever folks prefer!!
I give it an "A" or a 9/10
Old 05-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlarJotunn View Post
You didn't really get to see where he got his nickname; you got to see how his alternate universe counterpart got his.
Here we go with the "Canon-police" again.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I just returned from viewing the movie and yes it is fast paced. Upon reflection it was difficult to focus on any particular point. It was sensory-overload. I plan on seeing the movie again and perhaps a third time.

Main thoughts while driving home: it's like wiping clean a blackboard with over 40 years of stuff written on it and starting over again with a new premise. I loved this movie and await the sequel. And I look forward to the future of Star Trek.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
If you thoughts are it was a C- then probably!
Not for the film; for the insufferable, asinine false dilemma where you've either seen the film from beginning to end or you can't possibly in a million years have any information about it whatsoever. So you go and see the damn thing to shut off that obnoxious complaint, and then it's, "Oh! Oh! I thought you weren't gonna see it! Huh? Yeah!"
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Captain

A couple of things -- the promotions are absolutely ridiculous. Kirk goes from being a cadet (a grounded one under disciplinary review at that) directly to being Captain of the fleet's newest ship? No. Not even a little bit credible. Scotty, same exact thing.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Midshipman

Brand New to the forum, so a quick hello.

Just got back from the movie, I loved it, a strong 9!

Is it just me?, but in the scene where Spock has lost control and is choking Kirk the closeup of Pine looks just like Shatner.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLPR314 View Post
Brand New to the forum, so a quick hello.

Just got back from the movie, I loved it, a strong 9!

Is it just me?, but in the scene where Spock has lost control and is choking Kirk the closeup of Pine looks just like Shatner.
He just needed a dribble of blood from the corner of his mouth.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Ensign

what can I say... this was a beautiful movie, and my god a beautiful soundtrack... just got back home from my 3rd viewing, with many more to come.... yes, the movie seemed to hop from one scenario to the next, but I loved it, from the very beginning you are jarred out of your seat and you're never given a chance to settle in, it's one thrill after another or one heart-pang or another.... someone mentioned they didn't like or think the car scene with boy Kirk was needed..... omg I loved that scene... you just witnessed the destruction of the Kelvin, death of his Dad, and the surviving shuttlecraft heading towards an escape... then you're thrown into the car chase scene... it grabs your emotions... forces you from sad to sudden adrenaline rush with the music (Beastie Boys was it?) and this kid going 90 miles an hour careening towards a canyon... my god it was just an awesome scene and it shows just how "go gettem" or "fearless" Kirk really is... it sets Kirk's tone very well I think.... so after Kirk speaks with the police officer and the adrenaline is leveling off just a bit now we're thrown into a bar scene with jammin music and once again you don't have time to settle back into your chair, you're feet are tapping right along to the tunes as Uhura does her thing...... wow! I don't know what else to say but wow!

Another thing, I just loved at the "unfinished" look of Engineering and all the damn pipes.... it was incredible... not only the pipes but the steel beams with the bolts keeping them together but you juxtapose those bare girders to the finished hallways and like someone else said here why spend the dough to polish the bowels of the ship, that being engineering... oh and the turbo lift tract that wasn't covered up by walls but out in the open it seems...... I love it so much... this is a prequel to TOS so the technology progression seems just fitting that we have now the unfinished look but in the TOS everything is buttoned up and looks "pretty"... it's just awesome... to me this shows how things often start, you get something that just works, then over time you revise it, polish it, make it better---I can't say enough about this--everything about it was just freakin awesome.... It just shows so well the evolution of starship construction from the early days to the class movies, etc.

ok, yes, we didn't have the quote unquote seriousness of the original movies... but well considering the original movies we dealt with adult characters who had history and prior experience, these are just kids for crying out loud, kids that joined up in Starfleet to serve, barely out of training and are thrust into a very serious situation.... yeah it had comic lines and I thought they were ok, again not serious like of old, but these are just kids adapting to adult roles and responsibilities.... what can we really expect? and the romance.... I had no problems with it, both scenes fit well I think and it showed the side of Spock of him dealing with both halves...

Well, I don't really know what else to say, but when they showed the Enterprise for the first time, the music.... oh and the music that led up to the opening Kelvin scene... and then the music as the ST title appeared.... OMG the music in all these instances was just incredible and it grabs you right by the collar and forces you pay attention..... man! Yes, I absolutely enjoyed the film!

Jason
Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
A couple of things -- the promotions are absolutely ridiculous. Kirk goes from being a cadet (a grounded one under disciplinary review at that) directly to being Captain of the fleet's newest ship? No. Not even a little bit credible. Scotty, same exact thing.
Yeah, that was sort of goofy....Uhura got promoted to Communications officer because she could speak Romulan...I'm thinking she would have been assigned to assist the Comm officer in doing his job. Kirk gets promoted to First Officer after he's illegally stowed away on the ship and just before going into a hugely hazardous, unlikely to survive mission...didn't the ship need a First Officer who was likely to be around? Scotty seemingly becomes Chief Engineer simply because he gets a towel...It was all a bit silly. However, being silly does not distract from it being Star Trek...face it, logic and reason were not all that common in the original show....these were borderline reasonable in the "Star Trek" way of doing things....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Scotty seemingly becomes Chief Engineer simply because he gets a towel...It was all a bit silly.